Secondary/Tertiary drive wont appear after cold boot

So here is the story: I built my first PC, following youtube tutorials and advice from some friends, this is my build.

Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x

Motherboard: ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Bios Version: 2423

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz

GPU: EVGA Nvidia 3060ti

Power Supply: Gigabyte 1000w 80+ Gold GP1000Gm Modular

Primary Drive: WD Black SN850 Gen 4 1 TB

Secondary Drive: WD Black SN750 Gen 3 1 TB

Tertiary drive: WD Black AN1500 PCIe x8

So as the title says “Secondary/Tertiary drive wont appear after cold boot” every morning I wake up, turn on my PC and the secondary/tertiary drive is not displayed on the bios or in Windows, so I need to restart my PC again in order to appear, when I do that everything works perfectly, but is really annoying

Everything is up to date, Windows Update, Motherboard bios, AMD drivers, M2 drivers, I also tried another others drives on those slot and same issue.

All the drives have a letter designed and correctly formatted, also not hardware issue on it

I tried disabling the fast start of windows and the fast start of the motherboard, I tried to use CSM instead of UEFI.

I also set all the onboard devices on the motherboard to Gen 3

I have no more clues what to do, I installed windows 10, 4 times so far to get fresh installs of everything I tried different bios versions also and nothing.

Anyway, thanks again for any help that you can give me.

Sorry for my english is not my primary language.

Regards

Check your power cables and make sure your BIOS is updated as well

Do you have any SATA cables plugged into SATA ports 5 or 6 (the 2 SATA ports closest to the bottom/ front panel connector on the board)? If so, there is a chance that it may have disabled the second m.2 slot since those ports share bandwidth with the m.2 slot on the motherboard.
Asking just in case you have a CD drive or something using one of those ports.

If possible, also check the bios for the PCIe switch settings since due to limited lanes on B550, it makes heavy use of PCIe bifurcation, and that can cause issues with some SSDs when set improperly.

For the PCIe X8 SSD, if using it in your 3rd full length slot, then manually set that port to X4, to prevent it from trying to drop to X2 mode in order to enable the 2 X1 slots. (this will disable the 2 X1 slots).

Hello everyone, thanks for your reply

• Do you have any SATA cables plugged into SATA ports 5 or 6 (the 2 SATA ports closest to the bottom/ front panel connector on the board)? No I dont have any SATA port in use, just the M2 nvme attached to the motherboard

• Asking just in case you have a CD drive or something using one of those ports. No CD Drive either

• If possible, also check the bios for the PCIe switch settings since due to limited lanes on B550. All the Switchs are set to auto, but like my original post says, I already tried to set them to GEN3, and I got the same result.

- For the PCIe X8 SSD, if using it in your 3rd full length slot, then manually set that port to X4 Yes I already have it set in x4 still wont wake up from cold boot

More details, my bios are up to date 2423, and the issue still occurs, all the drivers on my PC are up to date, same for windows

Thanks again!

Regards

When the issue happens, and before restarting, if you use HWiNFO 64 Free Download HWiNFO Sofware | Installer & Portable for Windows, DOS (portable version is fine as it does not need to be installed (the green download button with the white background), just extracted to a new folder).

are you able to see the various PCIe bus components, such as the various bridges on the chipset PCIe lanes?

The goal here is to see if the controllers themselves are still visible when the issue happens.

You will typically get a view like this for the newer AMD chipsets.

Hi @Razor512 I didn’t know that program, thanks a lot, I’m going to try it and post my results.