Second unit SATA HD not recognized in Windows XP

I’ve installed a WD10EARS-0 (1TB) as a second drive in a Windows XP machine. I can see teh HD in the BIOS, I’ve installed WinXP on it and I can boot from it but I cannot see it in Windows XP. The new HD is not showed in Device Manager neither in Disk Management. The mainboard is a MSI G31M3-LV2 (MS-7529) and the BIOS is AMI vs2.8. I would appreciate any help. Dmerces

Dmerces,

This is a perplexing situation as it appears your disk works fine as a bootable/primary unit, but not as a secondary unit. Have you tested all connections related to SATA cables and your power supply along with physical SATA ports? Some Motherboards have RAID ports that won’t allow stand-alone units to operate if connected to a dedicated RAID port.

1 Like

JStaff, thank you very much for your prompt reply.

It’s really a perplexing situation and took me many weeks of research. I’d not tested reversing the connections because something did not seem logical, since my board has 4 SATA II ports apparently equal. Thanks to your insight it’s solved now.

My mainboard has 4 SATAII ports. I had the current HD OS connected to port 1 and the secondary HD connected to port 2. I’ve only transferred the secondary HD’s connection from port 2 to port 3. Everything worked perfectly!

Thank you very much for your support and your time.

Dmerces :smileyvery-happy:

Dmerces,

I am most glad this issue has been resolved, and I thank you for sharing your feedback with the WD Community.