Scanning HDD with WD Drive Utilities failed

Just curious, I’ve scan my newly purchased (Just loaded with all my data (4TB))
It’s coming up with errors of quick drive test failed and tried full data failed as well.

My device is WD my passport 5TB. (Purposely leave 1 TB) just in case…

2 questions -

1 - Can a HDD failed that quickly? (I just purchase less then 1 month) and it failed after I managed to transfer all my data…
2 - Can I get WD to transfer all my data to the new HDD that they going to do RMA? (It will take me about 12 hour or more to transfer all that data)…

Hi @fumi ,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:

Thanks! I’ve opened a support case and was asked to return it… but… I need to pay for a fee when I brought it less then 10 days ago… doesn’t sounds like a fair deal to me…

Meanwhile, I’ve managed to get hold of the dealer who sold me and they told me to return to a service centre in my country and swap it 1-1… (could be a refreshed set) but definitely better then this HDD that keep prompting errors and I do not wish to lose my data again.

FYI… I’ve just spend over 2k to recovery my 5TB HDD and this is the new HDD that was transferred to… really 1 thing follow by another…

Hopefully after the local swap… everything will be back to normal…

But… WD should really look into all these… why do we need to pay for returns within warranty period… and data recovery is not included in the warranty period… seagate seems to have a better warranty when comes to this…

nevertheless, thanks for listening to my ranting… :slightly_smiling_face: