Sata drive wont boot

I have an Acer Aspire 5732z Laptop with a All in 1 HDD Docking Station running through the usb port. I can access the drive through windows but a carn’t seem to be able to boot from this device. It has a WD10EARS Green 1tb Sata Hard Drive in. I have set the first partion on the drive as a primary boot partition and have also set it as the first drive to boot in the bios. I tried to make a clone backup using the accronis software but when it starts to boot windows it just flashes up a blue screen and then restarts. I know that the machine will boot from usb as i can boot backtrack from a usb flash drive. The only problem that i can see is that in the disk management in windows it shows it as disk 2 and disk 1 is just a removable device. I have tried alsorts of things to try to boot from this device but dont seem to get anywhere. I wanted to use it to put different opperating systems on like linux instead of running them along side windows. The Docking station has a esata port on it but my laptop only has usb. I dont know if getting a usb to esata converter and cable will fix this problem. Any advise will be appreciated and i hope you can read it this time. Thank you. Chris

A few details would be helpful.

Disconect all HDD’s except the drive you want to boot from.  Verify the boot order in the BIOS.

1 Like

A few more details than even that, might help.

Maybe it’s just me, but both of your replies are blank.

It’s not just you… all three of the posts are blank.

Yea, if you’re getting a blue screen its because you need to edit your boot.ini file. Since you’ve still got another disk in the system the numbering for which disk is which is likely wrong.

Yours should look something like this if I’m right.

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=“Internal Drive Windows” /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS=“USB Windows” /fastdetect

Obviously you can make the names in “” anything you want to recognize them. Following are the steps for editing Boot.ini

Save a Backup Copy of Boot.ini

1. Right-click My Computer , and then click Properties.
    -or-
    Click Start , click Run , type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
  2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
  3. Under System Startup , click Edit. This opens the file in Notepad ready for editing.
  4. In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
  5. Right click in an empty area of the Save As dialog box, point to New in the context menu, and then click Folder.
  6. Type a name for the new folder, for example temp, and then press the ENTER key to create the folder named temp.
  7. Double-click the new folder named temp, and then click the Save button to save a backup copy of the Boot.ini file.

Edit the Boot.ini File

To view and edit the Boot.ini file:

1. Right-click My Computer , and then click Properties.
    -or-
    Click Start , click Run , type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
  2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
  3. Under System Startup , click Edit

Don’t know why you can’t respond, but as long as you can read this it should work. I guess you can try sending any of us private messages also. Or mark the thread as solved if it works.

luck?

@Chrispal

Is there wrong with your browser or something else ?