Same DVD: ISO won't play; mkv will play fine

Bear with me,

I am new to this "Anti_DVD_destruction_by_small_hands"

starting from my Monster INC DVD:

does anyone has an idea why an ISO willnot play nicely on the WDTV,

but a MKV from the same DVD will work well.

The ISO will play smoothly on a PC (vlc media player)

1)Playing an ISO file:
-----------------------
using clone DVD (http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonedvd.html), I created an iso file of the DVD monster INC.
I can playback that iso file with no issue on my PC,
but when connected to the WD tv, I see a lot of tiling, the picture hangs, the sound is horrible/distorted and out of sync.

1)Playing a MKV file (main title created with makemkv):
------------------------------------------------------------
Works well both on WDTV or PC.

I know that iso is not "officially supported", but I see many users using them.

Thank you,

-Ben

Wow, your post is ugly.  :)

I’m guessing you’re using Wireless and having bandwidth issues.   MKVs will be about 1/4 the size (or even smaller) compared to an ISO, since it’s further compressed.  Thus, you need 4x the bandwidth, and if your net isn’t up to the task, you’ll have that issue.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Wow, your post is ugly.  :)

I’m guessing you’re using Wireless and having bandwidth issues.   MKVs will be about 1/4 the size (or even smaller) compared to an ISO, since it’s further compressed.  Thus, you need 4x the bandwidth, and if your net isn’t up to the task, you’ll have that issue.

Hi Tony,

Sorry about my post, it is UGLY :wink:

probably I did a bad cut and paste…

I was using a WD passport ELITE  for my trials in both cases,and filesize are similar.

Monster.iso: 5,405,094

monster.mkv (main title only): 4,243,870

Unfortunately, mediainfo cannot extract the info from an iso file.

the mkv mediainfo details (working well)

General
CompleteName                     : V:\media_maison\monster_inc.mkv
Format                           : Matroska
FileSize/String                  : 4.05 GiB
Duration/String                  : 1h 32mn
OverallBitRate/String            : 6286 Kbps
Encoded_Date                     : UTC 2010-06-24 20:30:40
Encoded_Application              : MakeMKV v1.5.6 beta win(x64-release)
Encoded_Library/String           : libmakemkv v1.5.6 beta (0.7.7/0.8.1) win(x64-release)

Video
ID/String                        : 1
Format                           : MPEG Video
Format_Version                   : Version 2
Format_Profile                   : Main@Main
Format_Settings_BVOP/String      : No
Format_Settings_Matrix/String    : Default
CodecID                          : V_MPEG2
CodecID/Info                     : MPEG 1 or 2 Video
Duration/String                  : 1h 32mn
BitRate_Mode/String              : VBR
BitRate/String                   : 5329 Kbps
BitRate_Nominal/String           : 8602 Kbps
Width/String                     : 720 pixel3
Height/String                    : 480 pixel3
DisplayAspectRatio/String        : 16:9
DisplayAspectRatio_Original/Stri : 2.35:1
FrameRate/String                 : 29.970 fps3
Standard                         : NTSC
ColorSpace                       : YUV
ChromaSubsampling                : 4:2:0
BitDepth/String                  : 8 bit3
Bits-(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.514
StreamSize/String                : 3.43 GiB (85%)

-Ben

Well, certainly nothing wrong with the MKV…

I know CloneDVD is a product of Sly, and so is DVD Fab.

Would you mind trying DVD Fab (Trial) and rip direct to ISO and see if it works?   It could be that Clone is doing something odd to the data, but I doubt it.   Just curious, because I have no other ideas…

DVDfab is no software by Sly but by Fengtao. Also given the fact that max total bitrate for DVD is 9.8 mbps I doubt it’s a bandwidth issue, even over wireless.

Tech:  You’re right.  My error.   I meant to say “AnyDVD.”

Isn’t this another example of the stuttering iso bug which is well reported by some of us. If so then sorry no fix in sight as this bug seems sporadic in nature and not easily reproducable by WD support.

kosh2 wrote:

Isn’t this another example of the stuttering iso bug which is well reported by some of us. If so then sorry no fix in sight as this bug seems sporadic in nature and not easily reproducable by WD support.

Just to chime in here, I was testing something for another user here and had stuttering issues playing ISO images from a NAS over wireless and cabled. I thought it was just me, but I guess not now… glad I saw this post.

heavenlydmeonic wrote:

Just to chime in here, I was testing something for another user here and had stuttering issues playing ISO images from a NAS over wireless and cabled. I thought it was just me, but I guess not now… glad I saw this post.

Hi heavenlydmeonic,

Note that I tried both from my ACER340 & a passport elite usb drive.

This seems to rule out the network as a culprit.

TonyPh12345,

I will try  “AnyDVD” somtime over the weekend.

Meanwhile I tried to convert a short  MKV chapter (bloopers) to xvid with:

(I want the videos  to be available when accessing via mediacenter, and not only via shares.)

1. mediaconverter trial#1 :invalid audio codec/ low video qual/huge file
  1. mediaconverter trial#2: /audio out of sync / low video qual/huge file
  1. xvid4psp 5.0 trial#1: video & file size are greath, but audio is out of sync.

My working solution: Handbrake: simple but less flexible, but  no avi container , only m4v,

which play nice with the WDTV (27 mins to convert the main title, to a 1.2gig file):

LOG extract:

CLI Query:  -i “C:\Users\benoit lachance\Desktop\video_treatement\monster_inc.mkv” -t 1 -c 1-32 -o “C:\Users\benoit lachance\Desktop\video_treatement\monster_inc-1.m4v” -f mp4 --strict-anamorphic  -e x264 -q 20 -a 1,1 -E faac,faac -6 dpl2,auto -R 48,48 -B 160,160 -D 0.0,0 --subtitle scan --subtitle-burn=scan --markers=“C:\Users\benoit lachance\AppData\Local\Temp\monster_inc-1-1-chapters.csv” -x ref=2:bframes=2:subq=6:mixed-refs=0:weightb=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0 -v 1

User Query: False

#########################################

[21:12:07] hb_init: checking cpu count
[21:12:07] hb_init: starting libhb thread
HandBrake 0.9.4 (2009112300) - MinGW i386 - http://handbrake.fr
8 CPUs detected
Opening C:\Users\x\Desktop\video_treatement\monster_inc.mkv…
[21:12:07] hb_scan: path=C:\Users\x\Desktop\video_treatement\monster_inc.mkv, title_index=1
[21:12:07] scan: trying to open with libdvdread
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.1.3
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
libdvdread: Can’t open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
libdvdnav: vm: failed to read VIDEO_TS.IFO
[21:12:07] dvd: not a dvd - trying as a stream/file instead
Input #0, matroska, from ‘C:\Users\x\Desktop\video_treatement\monster_inc.mkv’:
  Duration: 01:32:10.67, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 8601 kb/s
    Stream #0.0(eng): Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 720x480 [PAR 32:27 DAR 16:9], 8601 kb/s, PAR 186:157 DAR 279:157, 59.94 tbr, 1k tbn, 59.94 tbc
    Stream #0.1(fre): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1, s16
    Stream #0.2(eng): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1, s16
    Stream #0.3(eng): Subtitle: dvdsub
[21:12:07] scan: decoding previews for title 1

[TRUNCATED BY BLACHANC]

[21:39:47] render: gained time: 0 (0 frames) (0 not accounted for)
[21:39:47] encx264: 92024 frames had to be split (132582 in, 224641 out)
x264 [info]: frame I:1360  Avg QP:15.28  size: 52963  PSNR Mean Y:47.89 U:50.92 V:51.25 Avg:48.68 Global:48.16
x264 [info]: frame P:158848 Avg QP:19.19  size:  6023  PSNR Mean Y:44.31 U:48.10 V:48.53 Avg:45.20 Global:44.74
x264 [info]: frame B:64422 Avg QP:22.37  size:  1377  PSNR Mean Y:43.99 U:47.74 V:48.18 Avg:44.86 Global:44.17
x264 [info]: consecutive B-frames: 54.9%  7.2% 37.9%
x264 [info]: mb I  I16…4: 20.0%  0.0% 80.0%
x264 [info]: mb P  I16…4:  1.3%  0.0%  3.7%  P16…4: 26.1%  8.1%  5.1%  0.0%  0.0%    skip:55.7%
x264 [info]: mb B  I16…4:  1.2%  0.0%  1.0%  B16…8: 10.0%  1.1%  0.7%  direct: 3.9%  skip:82.3%  L0:24.3% L1:53.1% BI:22.5%
x264 [info]: coded y,uvDC,uvAC intra: 70.0% 84.5% 63.6% inter: 10.7% 14.5% 2.5%
x264 [info]: i16 v,h,dc,p: 38% 24% 12% 25%
x264 [info]: i4 v,h,dc,ddl,ddr,vr,hd,vl,hu: 26% 18% 15%  6%  7%  7%  7%  7%  6%
x264 [info]: Weighted P-Frames: Y:1.2%
x264 [info]: ref P L0: 72.0% 12.0% 16.0%
x264 [info]: SSIM Mean Y:0.9844519
x264 [info]: PSNR Mean Y:44.239 U:48.016 V:48.444 Avg:45.121 Global:44.585 kb/s:2385.68
[21:39:55] libhb: work result = 0

-ben

blachanc wrote:

heavenlydmeonic wrote:

Hi heavenlydmeonic,

Note that I tried both from my ACER340 & a passport elite usb drive.

This seems to rule out the network as a culprit.

TonyPh12345,

I will try  “AnyDVD” somtime over the weekend.

I put the ISO and VOB files on two different USB Hard Drives, and also an 8gig USB Flash Drive, I had stuttering on both files when playing. I even re-ripped the movie using IMGBurn with the same problem. The movie I was testing with was “300” and the Criterion Collection “Naked Lunch”.

Instead of AnyDVD (which ■■■■■ 12 kinds of monkey balls) I used DVD43. Using DVD43 and an old copy of DVD Shrink, I created an ISO with menus of “300” and it played without stutter on three seperate WD Live boxes, on the 8GB USB and a 1TB USB HDD.

While Shrink seemed to work great, the down side was that I ripped strait from the DVD, and it took about 45 minutes to shrink and encode it. The process COULD be sped up by ripping the VOB Streams to hard drive with IMGBurn then shrinking them with DVD Shrink, but that seems like a long drawn out process when you can just rip the movie to MKV in less time, sans menus…

Hope this helps in some way.

ImgBurn does not rip any DVDs and DVD Decrypter can’t deal with newer copy protections so your best shot is using DVDfab to rip to hdd and DVD Shrink to encode.

Techflaws wrote:

ImgBurn does not rip any DVDs and DVD Decrypter can’t deal with newer copy protections so your best shot is using DVDfab to rip to hdd and DVD Shrink to encode.

Did you miss the DVD43 bit.

Techflaws wrote:

Did you read even a little bit of my post? And I’m not sure what planet you live on, but IMGBurn rips my DVDs fine. Maybe if you tried it, read the help file, etc … I dunno, you might learn something new?

Just saying … Tech is not the only thing flawed.

richUK wrote:

Did you miss the DVD43 bit.

Apparently. Probably because of my bad experience when it comes to backgrounded decryption tools like this or AnyDVD.

heavenlydmeonic wrote:> Did you read even a little bit of my post? And I’m not sure what planet you live on, but IMGBurn rips my DVDs fine.

I prefer dedicated tools for each task and I just wanted to point out to the OP that DVDfab might be better for ripping new protections as is using ImgBurn to burn instead of ripping. Heck, you can use Total Commander to ‘rip’ a DVD if a tool like AnyDVD is running in the background, copy files over and you’re done.

Guys,

I apreciate your help,

but please let’s keep this post on topic (please play nice among yourselves).

I really like my  "2days old method " which consist of using  “makemkv + handbrake”, because  the results is a mp4 visible from the media server directly (no need to login to shares, which is easier to handle for a 8yrs old).

That being said, I am also a nerd in soul, and do plan to try the various potential solutions presented in this post, and provide feedback.

Thanks again,

this community forum is very proactive !!

-Ben

Interesting. I’m using DVD Decrypter to rip my DVD’s to ISO format. I haven’t got my WD TV Live Plus yet but I sure hope they play fine. 

blachanc wrote:

That being said, I am also a nerd in soul, and do plan to try the various potential solutions presented in this post, and provide feedback.

I’m not sure you’ve tried everything suggested so far. I’ve read somewhere that mp4 might cause trouble so MKV should be the way to go since it also takes less space for the same movie than ISO. OTOH, if you mount an ISO with Daemon Tools or Alcohol you can check the VOBs with Mediainfo which might hint at the problems. Fixing that would mean that no time consuming encoding is necessary, x.264 is overkill on SD material anyway. Also Handbrake 0.9.3 (MD5: 1c2d55ea2fb024c1d7706b253c7cd2fa) is the last version that outputs to AVI. I still suggest you give DVDFab/DVD Shrink/ISO a try.