SAMBA CIFS: Authentication for user [XXXXX] has FAILED

I just checked the system protocols and found many entries as follows:

SAMBA CIFS: Authentication for user [XXXXX] has FAILED.

what does this mean?

1 Like

It means someone or some thing on your network is trying to mount a share on the My Cloud as user [XXXXX] and wasn’t able to authenticate.

user XXXX is my computer where I am sitting now and yesterday and from where is setup MyCloud. I notice that this entry in the Protocol log occures everytime when I access MyCloud device in Win explorer—> i guest this is the same what you wrote with “someone is trying to mount a share”.
How can I correct this failure? Why i am not authentificated?

Try this

• unmap the my cloud share if it’s mapped
  • log out of Windows
  • login windows using your Windows Username and password
  • go into Network
  • access the My Cloud private share 1st

Now CIFS will use the authenticated username instead of the default of nobody

but I am the only one user for this computer and I don not have password?
what now?

As SBrown said; get into your Windows account (whether that is password protected or not; it doesn’t matter). Then access the private share first, providing your MyCloud user credentials.

to clarify:
I log out Windows by pressing Start button–>Logout (or CTRL+ALT+DEL).
Then log in Windows
Then access Mycloud first —> but what do you mean with “first”? The first action I do or what?

Yes, logout of windows with Ctrl-Alt-Del
Log back in to windows.
This will clear any defunct credentials form the previously mapped shares.

Then, of the shares available on your MyCloud (Public, User1, User2, etc), connect to (file explorer ‘map network drive’) the private User_x_ shares before you connect to the Public share. Do not connect to the Public share before you connect to any Private shares. When it asks for credentials, give you MyCloud user credentials (username and password (if any)).

sorry man, but I can not understand you, it is because of my poor knowledges about MyCloud, sorry. So again

1. I dont have map any network drive in windows explorer
  2. I dont have any private shares, I only have the 3 default Public, SmartWare and Timemashine-Backup.
  3. I still dont have any other user/remote access rights created.

so after I log off Windows and then log on, how should I preceed?

Sorry, in that case, SBrown’s guess of what the problem is was probably wrong.

And I’m afraid I’m out of ideas, barring the usual suggestion of 4-second or 40-second reset (see the user manual).

oh great :-/
what should/could be the consequence of that failure message?

I noticed that after the warning m
message that user XXXX can not be authentified, the is a info message that my IP adress is connected as nobody. By why the only one registered user on the computer gets no authentification?!?!?
Can is be something with the IPv4 settings, DNS, WINS or similar?
Of because I am using Comodo firewall? The firewall and Bonjour ?!

Something more:
I reset using 4 sec method and once via quick restore in the Dashboard settings. After the reset I notice that in the dashboard in the section Cloud-devices there is numer 0. Before the reset I remember there was number 1. And after visiting the CloudAccess for the seret tehre was written something about Windows7 device 
 dont remember exactly but on the place there was a entry. Now there is only a text that von my user there is no mobile device connected or similar. Whats wrong?

Have you tried forcing your mycloud user credentials when you map a network drive, and seeing what the log file says?

http://www.howtogeek.com/school/windows-network-sharing/lesson8/all/

what do you mena with forcing? how?

Read the howtogeek link.

just a quick question:
if i map, can i unmap and how? After that The drive letter will be free again?

@cska133 it sounds like you are using Windows 10 and using email address or Windows 10 PIN to sign into your computer. If this is correct, it’s called an “Online Account” for Windows 10 which means the email address or PIN used for the Online Account touches Samba and Windows only allows one samba log in per session.

Try This

• Go to Users in Windows 10
  • Create a new user with a LOCAL ACCOUNT
  • Reboot Windows 10
  • Sign In to Windows 10 using the newly created LOCAL ACCOUNT
  • Try to access the My Cloud in Networking
  • When prompted, select the Private Share and use admin or the share owner username and password
  • Now access Public

This should resolved the issue if you are using Windows 10 Online Account

I dont have Windows 10, it is Windows 7 Sp1

Windows 7 SP1

OK here’s another “best guess”

1. Login to the My Cloud Dashboard
  2. Create a USER named mycloud [all lower case]
  3. Create a PASSWORD and make it mycloud [all lower case]
  4. Create a Windows 7 User and name it mycloud [all lower case]
  5. Create a PASSWORD for the Windows 7 user and make it mycloud [all lower case]
  6. Reboot the Windows 7 Sp1 computer
  7. Sign in as mycloud with password mycloud [all lower case]
  8. Access the My Cloud in Windows Network and you should have access without a username/password prompt. If the prompt appears, entry my cloud and mycloud

If the above doesn’t work, something else is going on with Windows 7 SP1, Authentication and Samba Networking.

Just noticed these messages myself in the View System Logs in System Diagnostics from my Dashboard, because I was trying to troubleshoot a missing Recycle Bin share issue, which seems to have all of sudden just happened, after experimenting with turning it on and off in Public Shares. In other words, it seems to have disappeared from Shares altogether on its own! The thing is, is that it is still showing in File Explorer, even though it is not showing in my Dashboard. So my question is: Do you know if the SAMBA CIFS: Authentication for (email address) failed message may possibly be related to this? In other words, even though it may be possible, that I may have manually removed it in the Shares section of my Dashboard myself (not sure right now, but don’t really think so) is there still a way to get it back? And if it is not there anymore, why is it still showing in File Explorer? For instance, I know that I did manually remove the Time Machine from Shares, and it is no longer visible in File Explorer, because I thought if I ever needed it in the future (if I got an Apple Computer for instance) I could at least get it back,. But that doesn’t seem to be the case, as I looked further into the shares thing from my account. So, this also leads to the question of restoring Shares. (I’m talking about Shares that do not necessarily have any content, but are designed for a specific purpose and function). Is that possible? I’m freakin’ confused man. Anyone have any advice? Also, it very well may be that the Recycle Bin really did disappear from Shares on its own, without me manually removing it! Which is VERY troublesome in itself