Safepoints compressed?

Are safepoints compressed or if I have 3TB of data do I need a 3TB usb drive to create one?

Thanks

and how long should it take to create a safepoint of 2.4TB to a 3TB USB 3.0 drive connected to the back of the DUO?

It said 3 days and when I went back to it a few hours later the dashboard had closed and i get the forbidden message in Safari and Firefox when I try and re-open it.

Is this right?

The light on the front of both the DUO and the USB drive are flashing, but 3 days?

Safepoints are not compressed

check this thread for more info

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Need-help-with-Safepoint-Backups/td-p/365317

If thats the case why is it taking 3 days to create a safepoint from a USB 3.0 drive connected directly to the MBLD when there is no network traffic or speed involved?

Still backing up.

1 dat 6 hours to go.

Wow.

RSYNC is the process used to do the safepoint.  RSYNC is busy creatng hashes for every file on the drive as it safepoints it.

It’s very time consuming and processor intensive.

is it going to take that long to restore to the drive?

That’s a good question.  I don’t know.   I’ve never tried to do a restore yet. :slight_smile:

So it took 5 days to create a safepoint of 1.8 TB, it said it would take 3 initially.

I just hooked up the USB 3.0 drive to the back of the new unit and it says it is going to take 3 days to restore, (I will assume 5 from the backup time)

This is all with a USB 3.0 drive attached directly to the units.

There is no compression in the backups.

This is crazy and totally unaceptale.

A 10 day turnaround to backup and restore that amount of data makes this just useless.

I can’t beleive this product is actually being sold to the public.

This should have taken a few hours at most.

Ridiculous!

I have tried several times to restore this safepoint to another MBLD it starts, (and says it will take 5 days to restore,) but after a few minutes I keep getting this error:

35642: Unknown error, please ensure you arenot facing network connectivity errors and try again

There is no network involved, the drive is plugged into the back.

If this MBLD is bad it will be the 3rd one in a row.

Anyone have any ideas?

Update: 4th RMA unit on it’s way.

So my 4th RMA replacement drive should be here tomorrow.

Since it took 5 days to create the initial safepoint backup of the bad drive, and when i went to recover it to the second drive that is also being RMA’d it said it was going to take another 5 days to restore my questions are these.

Since I can see all the files when I mount the connected USB 3.0 drive conected to the back of the MBLD would it be faster to just drag the folders to the new MBLD with the drive connected via USB?

If I do it this way instead of restoring the safepoint will I be getting USB 3.0 speeds or is all the data still being piped from the USB drive connected to the MBLD to the network then back to the same MBLD?

I don’t care aboute restoring any settings from the previous MBLD, I just want the files in a new share I will create.

Thanks.

fxguy wrote:

So my 4th RMA replacement drive should be here tomorrow.

Since it took 5 days to create the initial safepoint backup of the bad drive, and when i went to recover it to the second drive that is also being RMA’d it said it was going to take another 5 days to restore my questions are these.

Since I can see all the files when I mount the connected USB 3.0 drive conected to the back of the MBLD would it be faster to just drag the folders to the new MBLD with the drive connected via USB?

If I do it this way instead of restoring the safepoint will I be getting USB 3.0 speeds or is all the data still being piped from the USB drive connected to the MBLD to the network then back to the same MBLD?

I don’t care aboute restoring any settings from the previous MBLD, I just want the files in a new share I will create.

Thanks.

If it were me, I’d probably plug the drive into the USB port, and SSH into the MBL and do a file copy operation from the command line.

Fastest way possible.

Since I have very limited knowledge from a couple of years ago regarding ssh.

Any chance you could give me a quick one liner of what to do to do that?

I’m on OSX Lion.

Thanks

Ahh, got it buy the way from this post:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live-Duo/Direct-copy-from-USB-to-MBLD/td-p/354859/page/2

The only thing it took a few minutes to figure out was how to login with ssh, (it’s been years since I have dealt with ssh and all the posts say “login as ssh” but don’t say the command,) it’s as simple as this:

ssh root@x.x.x.x

I had to use my ip address, it would’t take the device name.

The copy is running now in OSX’s terminal app, and it’s command for anyone looking to do the same, (at least for my directory structure,) is:

MBLD:/DataVolume/shares/My_Book_1140/_WDPROT/WDSAFE/OrionSafepoint# cp -R shares/ /DataVolume/shares/Emile

I am also getting 19.7 MB/s write and 43.6 MB/s read on this unit in mirrored configuration.

Maybe 4th time is the charm? God I hope so!

Anyone know if while the copy is running in terminal via ssh if I need to keep the terminal open or the machine connected to the MBLD?

I don’t belive I do since the commands are remote telling the MBLD to do all the work, but I am not sure.

I don’t want to restart or move my Mac and kill what looks to be a multi-day copy by accident.

The MBLD is also unresponsive while the copy is running, I expected that from when I made an initial safepoint before I knew I had to RMA a previous unit. I see the lights on the USB drive and MBLD flashing like crazy meaning the copy is going, and I see the MBLD in the finder sidebar but it’s greyed out in quickview and I can’t get to the dashboard.

Like I said I think thats right because it’s copying 2 TB of data, but if anyone could confirm that would be great.

Thanks

Yes.   Your terminal session will be occupied doing the copy command.

If you background the task, as soon as you type “exit” to log out, the shell will warn you that it stopped the job.

If you continue to log off, it will terminate the copy.

If you elect to resume it, you can.

Thanks.

The copy finished since I was logged in as root when I made the copy II get the message:

The folder “shares” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.

When I double click the folder I copied.

Is the command I want to use:

chmod -R 755 *

to be able to access everything again through finder?

Thanks!

It should have copied the original UID / GID and permissions…  

Interesting that it didn’t.

I wouldn’t think you could open the “shares” root directy remotely, anyway, since it’s not exported.

Are you sure you shouldn’t be accessing the specific sharename?