Safepoint not visible for Restore

All,

I just had my WD My Cloud replaced because it bricked after firmware update. I just configured the new replacement and I am trying to restore from a safepoint. I have connected my WD usb  hard drive to the WD My Cloud but MyCloud does not see the safepoint. I connected the USB Hard drive to my computer and the safepoint is there. Is there anyway I can make the safepoint visible in My Cloud in order to restore or worst case scenario how can I extract my files from the safepoint if I am not able to restore it. I would appreciate any assistance since this only backup I have available for all my files…

USB device might not be supported. Have you tried copying it onto a new USB? Also if you try to plug it into a PC and scan network (make sure it is on the same network and keep PC or laptop either plugged into the router and on power or keep laptop with wi-fi close to router. 

Thanks for your help,  I have 2 questions if the drive wasnt supported would it still let you create the safepoint in the beginning? and second if where to copy the safepoint files to a network share is there a possibility WD My cloud would be able to restore them from there?

You can always get to your data by going through the directories in the Safepoint until you see your share … in fact I think the directory is called “Shares”. Your My Cloud data is all there, and in the worst case you can copy the data, directory by directory, to your new My cloud.

I would try restoring the Safepoint by connecting the USB drive to my computer if that is the way the new My Cloud sees and recognizes that Safepoint. But in the worst case you can always get to your data as mentioned above.

Acarius wrote:

Thanks for your help,  I have 2 questions if the drive wasnt supported would it still let you create the safepoint in the beginning? and second if where to copy the safepoint files to a network share is there a possibility WD My cloud would be able to restore them from there?

Hi Acarius,

good point - probably not but if you can’t see it anymore then must be an issue with the my cloud itself. I am guessing you have tried restarting both server and computer? 

For the network share as long as this is not on the my cloud itself i can’t see why it would be able to. you will need to access it somehow when you scan network - possibly by ensuring it is on the same workgroup under network…

does that make sense? 

I am in exactly your position now, for the 2nd time. The data is on your usb HDD under Shares but you need to dig down _WDPROT / WDSAFE / your Safepoin name / shares (as you probably found out long ago)
Are there no contributions from WD to this site and if not why not, even Microsoft do better. I have had innumerable problems and there is insufficient input by WD and their support staff must be overworked or ----- because answers to emails are so slow.
I use Microsoft SyncToy (free) to backup data to my WD My Cloud 3TB, it is flexible, multi choice, and simple and does not fall over every time it encounters anything not implimented by itself, like alterations made manually plus it reports errors in detail.
The Safepoint will stop updating if there is any alteration in data within the Safepoint and the only answer is to start again with a new Safepoint, hardly an answer.
We know this product type has not been available for that long but with the number of devices WD are now marketing they really need to make an effort and have a more in depth refence source for problems.

1 Like

Are there no contributions from WD to this site

Generally, no; it’s just us users…

SyncToy? I tried it, but it was very slow, and too keen to copy files that hadn’t changed. I switched to FreeFileSync, which is much faster.