S1 Sonos connection + SMB1 Check

Hi,

I’ve got a My Cloud Home and a Sonos1. I know the My Cloud service has been switched off so I’m having to try and map the NAS drive with my music manually.

On a Win11 laptop using the SONOS1 app.

I can select the NAS drive however when I try to connect message saying

What else do I need to do? I’ve seen various messages re SMB - how do I check that on a My Cloud Home NAS drive?

Any assistance is appreciated.

R.

There is no option to turn on SMB1 on current MCH firmware so if that is what you mean by ‘switched off’, then you are correct. Western Digital’s position on SMB1 is that it is better safe by turning it off than be sorry and get sued.

For more SMB1 information, see :

There are likely alternatives to use Sonos with MCH and that has been discussed many times over the years in this Sonos Community thread:

The workaround is to move your music files to the private aide of your drive and then add My Cloud Home as a music service in Sonos, rather than a library. This works just fine, but the trouble is that my existing Sonos playlists won’t populate from a music service – or at least I haven’t figured out how to do that yet.

How to Enable Local Network Access to Data on My Cloud Home Using the Dashboard with Cloud Services

The UNC directory path must include a trailing / if the last directory has a space in the name such as “My Music”. Failure to add the trailing / will result in a Music Files Not Available error message.

Upgrade to a more secure Sonos2

S2 allows the use of the more current versions of SMB v2 & v3, which I now use to connect to my WD myCloud NAS.

I had no luck when speaking to WD. I have taken advantage of the Sonos upgrade program and ordered a new Port. Turned out to be cheaper than buying a new NAS.

I bought the Port and connected it to my stereo unit, using the WiFi option to connect to the music library on my WD MyCloud Home. Got a discount on the Port since I owned two SONOS 1 devices that were eligible for upgrade. Works perfectly. Have no fears that the SONOS 2 devices will work with the WD storage.

I specified

//MYCLOUD-/username/Music/ and
\MYCLOUD-
\username\Music\ (Note: I specified double \'s at the start)

specified the username and password, and got the message:

Please check the username and password are correct
Reason: The computer MYCLOUD-****** is not responding.

I’ve specified the correct username and password, also MYCLOUD-****** is alive and accessible.

I put music on my laptop and was able to map the Music library successfully.

and did the same as above with Public, and no joy there either.

This subforum is not the optimum place to support the Sonos S1 as it is deprecated hardware and Western Digital does not directly support 3rd party software and hardware. These links provided were merely done as a courtesy for those readers in search of answers.

I certainly don’t own a Sonos S1 and the few Sonos owners that do own S1 don’t post in these forums to help other S1 owners.

But here is what the Sonos support stated:

iOS or Android:

1. Open the Sonos app.
  2. From the Settings tab, tap Services & Voice.
  3. Under Music & Content, tap Add a Service.
  4. Tap the service you would like to add.
  5. Tap Add to Sonos.
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions to add the music service account.

Mac or PC:

1. Open the Sonos app.
  2. Under the Select a Music Source section, click on Add Music Services.
  3. Click on the service you would like to add.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to add the music service account.