Rsync?

Is there anyway to enable an RSYNC daemon on the EX4? I’ve got various PC’s syncing to my old file server, and would like to have them use my new 16TB EX4 instead. I could also use RSYNC to sync between my file servers. It’d be a big time saver. Thanks! – Ian

The service is already on the EX4.

I asked, because I’ve been unable to connect using RSync. I see no options for configuring RSync in the EX4. If available I can only assume the shares are the same as Rsync “module” names (ie: available targets)

Given the following command:

rsync -W -rav /srcpath wdex4::Public

I always see:

rsync: failed to connect to wdex4: Connection refused (111)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(104) [sender=2.6.9]

I finally figured out how to make it run…   temporarily.   Only until it reboots, then poof.   Linux really isn’t my thing.

I found instructions for making it work with an older MyCloud, and adapted them.  Google for “mycloud rsync fun”

Enable SSH on the EX4 Settings->Network page.   Install Putty (SSH terminal) on your PC & connect to the EX4. 

Create config file in “/etc/rsync.conf”.   ie:

pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pidlock file = /var/run/rsync.locklog file = /var/log/rsync.log[Backup]path = /shares/Backupuid = rootgid = rootread only = nolist = yesauth users = rootsecrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets

Create file /etc/rsyncd.secrets containing following line: “root:root”

Launch the daemon with “/usr/sbin/rsync --daemon -4”.  

Things work until the EX4 is rebooted.   At which time the config files disappear.   Root file system is a ram drive.  Yay.

Anyone have suggestions on making it persistant, and auto-start on reboot?   Better yet, wrap it into an “App” so its easier to use?

Thanks!

– Ian

1 Like