Router to use with WD Mybook Live

Hi there

My setup is an old Speedtouch WIFI router, Mac book and Windows laptops which I generally use both wirelessly and a WDTV Live connected to my TV.

Thinking about getting the Mybook live. Want to use it to store photos, music and video which I want to stream to the WDTV ( I can connect the WDTV to the router using a couple of ethernet power plugs.

Will I need to upgrade my router to a gigabit router for this setup to work properly? And if so what would be a good router to get?

Many Thanks.

Lavaghman

You won’t need Gigabit for that configuration to work, but you’ll need it if you want it to be fast. Netgear/Linksys is the way to go.

Whatever you do, avoid Apple routers like the Plague - especially the “Time Capsul” - they are notorious for not working well with non-apple products.

1 Like

I agree!

Ardvark wrote:

Whatever you do, avoid Apple routers like the Plague - especially the “Time Capsul” - they are notorious for not working well with non-apple products.

1 Like

i’ve got a dlink dir-825, that’s now an “older” model.  I’m not network saavy but I’ve never had problems.  I’m not doing streaming or mobile streaming though, just backups.