Router Help

I have two SMP’s connected wirelessly in two separate rooms , each with a HDD connected via USB. However, whenever I stream a higher bit rate video file from one SMP to the other, the stream has to reconnect often. I only have a 802.11g router (WRT54G) because I have a PS3 that won’t connect to an N router.

Is there a solution that will allow the higher bit rate streams to stream flawlessly while being able to keep my PS3 online?

There’s no such thing as an N-Only router… at least none that I know of.

All of the N-Routers that I know of support both G and N

Right, but since the PS3 doesn’t connect to Wireless N signals, I have to broadcast G. Just trying to find the best hardware setup to stream higher bit rates as the G signal isn’t sufficient while simultaneously still having a G broadcast.

Basically, I just want to be able to effortlessly stream between the two boxes, whether that means I need upgraded hardware or change/add something in my current setup. Is it even possible to stream large files across a G network?

Get another router, set it up as an access point – set it to N Only.   Give it a different SSID than the G router.  Make sure to set it on a different channel, also, remembering that channels 1,6, and 11, are the ONLY “clear” channels in 2.4 GHz.

1 Like

Kudos, that sounds like what I need to do. Any place you can point me in learning how to do that? I have a second N router that I don’t use that sounds like would do the trick.

Mgunner76 wrote:
Right, but since the PS3 doesn’t connect to Wireless N signals, I have to broadcast G. Just trying to find the best hardware setup to stream higher bit rates as the G signal isn’t sufficient while simultaneously still having a G broadcast.

Basically, I just want to be able to effortlessly stream between the two boxes, whether that means I need upgraded hardware or change/add something in my current setup. Is it even possible to stream large files across a G network?

You don’t have to broadcast G only.  You broadcast at the highest rate (say, N) and units that can receive/send N will, and units that only receive/send G, will.

Set your router appropriately.  My dual band router has some tips in this regard, yours may, too…   

Mgunner76 wrote:
Kudos, that sounds like what I need to do. Any place you can point me in learning how to do that? I have a second N router that I don’t use that sounds like would do the trick.

Based upon what I said in my msg above, you likely don’t have to do this.  But, if you decide to, your routers’ user guides have all the info.

I actually did what Tony suggested for a while, because until I had my new router, I did not have enough G signal from my WRT54G to reach a far room.  So, I set up a wireless access point (AP) midway for this.  Worked great, but new router has enough umph and G (AP) was not needed anymore.

The PS3 loses connection if I don’t set the router to send G only. Mixed doesn’t work for some reason. And G just wasn’t strong enough to stream my beefier movies. I did successfully hook up a N router as an Access point, but that only upped my rate from 54 to 65 Mbps even when right next to the router. That solves most of my issues but I still have some media that has issues.

Is there a trick or settings to get higher speeds? The fact the PS3 doesn’t support N, and the WD TV doesn’t support 5ghz is quite annoying.

And thanks for the help guys. It’s been a rough few days but everything is starting to work as I had hoped. The SMP was so good that it took only 2 days before buying another one. I’m replacing a couple O!play’s.

Is there a trick or settings to get higher speeds?

A few, like placement of router for max signal, antennas, channel used.  Go download inSSIDer at metageek.com for either windows or apple machine; whichever you have.  Program is free and helps see all the wireless around you so you can select the best channel (1, 6 or 11).  I found 11 works best for me. If you can position the router and antenna for best signal strength.  Use a laptop to move around and test various locations in your house, you may find a bad spot – maybe right where you don’t want one.

Also, setting up the router correctly for BOTH G and N signals is important.  See the screen shot below from a “tip” my router setup screen gives when I hover cursor over “wireless mode” . I selected “Auto” and “ticked b/g Protection” because I have mostly N devices, but there are still a few G’s around house still…  Your router may have similar tips.

(Viewing of image will be delayed until WD censors give it the OK.)

wireless mode.JPG