RMA Creation & Support Case Creation Fails

I’m attempting to create an RMA for a 1 TB WD Black drive that I purchased that appears to be bad. I’m able to get to the Shipping Address step but, upon submitting the form, I receive the following error: “An error was encountered during RMA creation.” I’ve attempted to create an RMA using both Firefox and Chrome with the same result.

So, I figured I’d create a new support case to both report this issue and hopefully initiate an RMA claim. However, when I attempt to submit the support case form, I receive the following error: “An error was encountered during knowledge base search.”

I’m not sure how else to create an RMA request. If this is the wrong topic to report these issues, please direct me to proper topic. Thank you.

Hello jseverson,

Kindly check your inbox for information regarding the RMA you were trying to apply for.

Rocky,
Thanks. I received your message but figured I’d post a response here in case anyone else runs into this issue.

As you noted, I was able to successfully create an RMA. The issue, however, appears to be that Western Digital has 2 separate support portal websites depending on what URL you visit.

When I Googled how to return a bad hard drive, the first result takes me to this article: Get a Warranty Replacement, Power Supply, or USB Cable for your WD Product. The Support Portal link in this article is what I initially used to register for an account and attempted to submit an RMA. And where creating an RMA failed. It’s also where attempting to create a new support case failed.

However, upon registering, I received an e-mail confirming my registration. In that e-mail, it includes the following URL for the support portal: https://westerndigital.secure.force.com. This URL takes me to a different support portal which allowed me to successfully submit an RMA.