Retrieving data - same version, conflicting versions, transfer method and firmware updates

I have an XP machine with Smartware installed (My Book Essential). I want to retrieve the backed up files to a Windows 7 machine. Must I have the same version of Swartware installed on both machines? On the XP machine in the WD Smartware, the version says 1.4.5.2 while in Add/Remove the version is 1.4.5.5. What up with that? From what I have read, updating the drive’s firmware will erase the data and it will have to be backed up again. I want to avoid that if I can. Is updating the firmware a must before retrieving to another machine? If the same folders are created on the new machine just as they were in the old machine, can it just put the files “back in the same place”? Finally, what is faster in this case - retrieving from the drive using the drive’s USB connection or just moving the files from computer to computer with a crossover ethernet cable?

From what I have read, updating the drive’s firmware will erase the data and it will have to be backed up again. I want to avoid that if I can. Is updating the firmware a must before retrieving to another machine?

not at all… you can retrieve without updating and updating does not mean erasing data, is only done as a precaution

If the same folders are created on the new machine just as they were in the old machine, can it just put the files “back in the same place”?

not at all…, different computers, you will retrieve to one folder

Finally, what is faster in this case - retrieving from the drive using the drive’s USB connection or just moving the files from computer to computer with a crossover ethernet cable?

you can retrieve without the software by drag and drop

Thank you for your reply.

Why the two different versions showing on the same computer, 1.4.5.2  and 1.4.5.5.?

So the only way to automate the retrevial is to install Smartware on the new computer, and retrieve the files to a single folder.  Or I could  just manually drag n drop from the WD drive to the new computer independant of Smartware.

If retrieving to the same location on the same computer, C:\users\joe\desktop\folder or to a new computer, C:\users\joe\desktop\folder arent they both essentially the “same” location?

Thank you

Would anyone be so kind as to explain this?

Don’t really know about the two different versions, but you don’t need to install smartware to retrieve the files, just explore the external hard drive and inside you will see a folder with the name smartware.swstor. The option to restore the files back to the same location is only possible on the PC where the backup was made.