Restsdk-server, why is it continually running

So a bit more digging to get some more specific instructions for others who want a mostly silent system.

I don’t mind an occasional spin up of the disks, but just doing it for the sake of it is stupid in this kind of system. It should either be smart enough to only do housework when the disks are already spinning for a real reason or it shouldn’t do it at all. Waking it up every hour, then every 4 hours, and then at random times when you feel like it, is wrong.

It appears that the crontab line that spews out the hourly “errors” stating

getAgreement.sh: Get PIP 0 from cache
wdLogUploader.sh: getAgreement.sh: False
wdLogUploader: Current PIP_STATUS: false wdlog.conf STATUS: enabled

is the crontab line that runs /usr/sbin/rt_script.sh. Though not massively problematic as that log is written to tmpfs. Deleting that line stopped an hourly pointless message about uploading a log that isn’t set to be uploaded. The script itself is set to run every minute (brute force and ignorance crontab lines FTW) but internally only actually does something at a certain minutes past the hour and does other things at other times.

There is another crontab line that copies all the logs from the tmpfs filesystem that the system runs in to the hard disk as well and does it every four hours by the looks of it.

0 */4 * * * /usr/sbin/rlog -s /usr/local/modules/files/syslog_rotate.conf

which copies it to a “log_<serialnumber>” directory under /mnt/HD/HD_a2/.systemfile

It looks like the program deletes and recreates the “log_<serialnumber>” directory every time it runs every 4 hours. You might be able to tmpfs the /mnt/HD/HD_a2/.systemfile directory (doesn’t look like it should grow big or have important stuff in there) or simply delete the crontab line if you don’t care about log backup.

Now I just need an automated way to delete a line from the crontab and I can have it run when plex starts up.

1 Like