Reset password for WD my cloud mirror

I can’t access my dashboard. It keeps saying that my password is incorrect try type it again. I’ve tried to reset the WD for 5 sec. and I have tried to disconnect the power, but nothing helps. I’ve spoke with tech support and they told me that an update would help solve the problem. Well the million dollar question is : how can you update the system if you can’t access the system through the dashboard ? The tech support could not help me , so is anyone in here have a solution for this ?

Hi, 

Resetting the drive will allow you to reset the passwords of the unit to a value to (none) so the username will be admin and no password needed.

Please see page 119 of the user manual regarding resetting the unit.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf

1 Like

Thank you!  I was astonished that such a clear simple answer wasn’t available in the Knowledge Base. It explained how to reset the unit which said Admin pw would be reset to factory settings,  but didn’t explain that this default was no pw!

This doesn’t work for me. Whenever I try to use my WD drive as my Time Machine drive, I can’t register to sign in. It doesn’t like any passwords that I try. I remember my passwords. This system just doesn’t work with a Mac.

Hello,

I too have forgotten the Admin password.

If I reset the unit by pressing the button on the back, will I lose all my data?

(… and If I have access to all of the data by pressing the reset button - what is the point of password protecting it?!!)

Thanks

Tony

No, your data won’t be affected.

It’s there as a failsafe precisely to stop you locking yourself out of your own box, but of course needs hands-on physical access. And if you have that then securing things it rather a moot point, as if you can lay on hands to push the reset button you can also just remove the drives themselves and do what you like with them regardless as the password is only on the box firmware.