Rescan Issue

Hi Using the WDTVlive over a network. I have a network folder with around 400 movies in it.

Problem is, every time I add a single new movie to the folder on the network drive, I have to get the WDTVlive to rescan the whole folder and search for media info. As you can imagine, with 400+ movies, this takes a bit of time.

Other software media players I have used in the past have an auto rescan function (that works) to pick up new additions.

I have tried various settings on the ‘rescan’ option of the wdtvlive setup, but none appears to make a difference.

I’ve read one or two threads regarding this issue, but want to know if there is a real fix… not a workaround, but a fix for this most annoying lack of a basic working feature.

There is one but I have never used it, I use Genre folders and TV series folders. When I add a new film or TV show, I just go to the folder I have moved a file to and select rescan.

But if you go to -

Setup → System → Media Library ->Media Library Manager for Network Share

Set auto scan schedule and have it from 1 hr to once a month or even in standby

I think there’s a lot of misunderstanding about how the auto-scan and RESCAN functions work.

Auto-scan, For example – if it’s set to “Standby Only…”

The WDTV will re-scan the library ONCE as soon as it’s put in Standby – AND NEVER AGAIN while it remains in standby.

In other words, if you put it in standby, then add or change content on your NAS, the WDTV WILL NOT detect those changes because the autoscan has already been completed.

I know it works because if you put it in standby, and immediately bring it back up, it will be show “Compiling Media Library” or whatnot at the top of the screen.

As far as I know (because I’ve not used the other settings) the “timed” re-scans only are in effect if the unit is ON ; not in standby.  But I am not certain of this.

From TonyPH12345:

As far as I know (because I’ve not used the other settings) the “timed” re-scans only are in effect if the unit is ON ; not in standby.  But I am not certain of this.

Yes. That is correct.  In fact if you look at the option to automatically turn the Hub off after 3 hours of inactivity there is a warning message that timed rescans will not occur.

OK, so I am best leaving the unit on and setting a regular rescan interval…

Thanks for the responses - very helpful:smiley: