Request Official WD Response

Vocalpoint, what you wrote is really not fair to Bill S. Bill thought he was doing the community a favor by passing along the information that he was told at that time. Unfortunately, what he was told did not happen. This happens a lot in large companies like WD where priorities change and emergency situations develop. The most recent information that he has, is that there will be another firmware release. He has posted that he will let us know if he hears anything different.

I admit, I too am skeptical about the next firmware release, but what do expect Bill to do? He can only post official information that he is told. Even then, he is dam*ed if he does, and dam*ed if he doesn’t.

Vocalpoint wrote:

Scandy wrote:

There is supposed to be another firmware release for the older units, but it has been a year now since the last update, and it is questionable whether or not it will actually be released.

No chance of this “mystical” update ever being released. It’s a few days shy of a year now since the last update. I just wish Bill S would stop with the moronic “updates” from HQ saying that the release is immient or “in the pipe” or my favorite - now being held up by some “mystical” force that he cannot (and never will) comment on.

Bill S - do right by everyone and simply issue a statement that this thing is done so we can all just move on.

VP

First you say that I’m a moron for issuing statements about a purported firmware update.  Then you want me to issue another statement?  Wow.   

[edit]

I guess I am a moron.  As far as I’m being told, it’s still an eventuality. 

I must admit I am a bit skeptical if 1.06_15 will ever be updated.

But Bill…

Ignore the rudeness of some of the posts I’ve seen directed at you.

Its a real shame that some have resorted to cheap insults.

Keep up the good work, wherever it may lead

…to the rest.

if you feel the need to insult, please do it somewhere else.

it ain’t smart, its not constructive, and it won’t progress the problem

its a waste of your time, as well as ours

mazerati,

That’s very kind.  Thank you.

This whole thing is starting to sound more and more like a ponzi scheme

Yeah, WD must be raking in the cash from all the old devices they’re still selling!

Well, I contacted JB Hifi and they are going to let me return the device…even without the box which is nice of them.  At least they are supporting their customers.

wdgoat wrote:

Well, I contacted JB Hifi and they are going to let me return the device…even without the box which is nice of them.  At least they are supporting their customers.

Why don’t you contact WD directly and have them replace it with the WD TV LIVE STREAMING (Wifi), or 1TB HUB. That’s what I did last year and I got the wifi but didn’t like it and exchanged it for the HUB, and so far, there has been five Firmware updates in less than 12 months for both devices. The so-called highly anticipated firmware for this LIVE PLUS is a myth. The chances of this thread surpassing 1,500 pages is greater.

mazerati wrote:

I must admit I am a bit skeptical if 1.06_15 will ever be updated.

But Bill…

Ignore the rudeness of some of the posts I’ve seen directed at you.

Its a real shame that some have resorted to cheap insults.

Keep up the good work, wherever it may lead

…to the rest.

if you feel the need to insult, please do it somewhere else.

it ain’t smart, its not constructive, and it won’t progress the problem

its a waste of your time, as well as ours

Using the same logic that Bill S used in regards to the “Moronic updates” comment, you just called everyone not smart, unconstructive, and inhibiters of progress, ha ha!

Grow some thicker skin, people. And Bill, if you don’t like the unhappy customers, why not give them a better avenue to voice their complaints? There has to be someone at WD that people can call and **bleep** too, even if everyone knows it won’t make any difference. What are the email address of the Board of Directors? That would probably get some forward movement on this year-old firmware promise.

Bill_S wrote:

First you say that I’m a moron for issuing statements about a purported firmware update.  Then you want me to issue another statement?  Wow.   

Bill,

Firstly - my apologies if this rubbed you the wrong way - however as others have mentioned - even right on this page - probably time to get a thicker skin if you cannot handle the heat. Or - more importantly be upfront, honest and to the point much sooner than you have been. You could have done us (and yourself) a huge favor by telling us the real score like - months ago - instead of leaving everyone hanging like this.

But what I do NOT understand is the “Area 51” secrecy over this two bit media player? What could possibly be so important that you cannot just say one of these  two things:

1. Folks - it’s the end of the line. The WDTV is now officially discontinued and unsupported.

Or

1. Folks - here it is - the final firmware update for the WDTV Live…Knock yourselves out. The WDTV is now officially discontinued and this final firmware is not valid for any techincal support.

Do you really think that anyone really cares at this point if you finally slam the lid on this thing and telling the masses what’s really going on? It’s not like WD has millions at stake here - as you already have our money. (and probably a lot more from those who bought on of your subsequent “revisions”)

But keeping us hanging here for almost a year -  and now be told it’s an “eventuality” is - in my opinion -  a truly disappointing and half-a**ed way for a manager to treat the community he manages.

Time to man up - trust me - we can take it.

VP

heavenlydmeonic wrote:

Using the same logic that Bill S used in regards to the “Moronic updates” comment, you just called everyone not smart, unconstructive, and inhibiters of progress, ha ha!

Grow some thicker skin, people. And Bill, if you don’t like the unhappy customers, why not give them a better avenue to voice their complaints? There has to be someone at WD that people can call and **bleep** too, even if everyone knows it won’t make any difference. What are the email address of the Board of Directors? That would probably get some forward movement on this year-old firmware promise.

Actually I didn’t specifically say that to everyone, only the ones who felt that it was ok to insult a contributer, albeit a WD employee, in this case.  But you got that didn’t you, or did you read it “out of context”, i.e. only the bits you wanted to read and hence comment on those parts.

If I may ask if you to pint the “self critical” finger, if you read your comment above, do you think I wouldn’t be able to rip it to shreds?? Especially your second paragraph.

But I won’t. I don’t need to, as I’d just like to promote a little civility.

if you wanted to get in touch with the top brass, its easy. but even though I’ve found a way to contact them, I’m not going to bleep at them. I’d rather let Bill progress this

Vocalpoint wrote:

Bill_S wrote:

Bill,

Firstly - my apologies if this rubbed you the wrong way - however as others have mentioned - even right on this page - probably time to get a thicker skin if you cannot handle the heat. Or - more importantly be upfront, honest and to the point much sooner than you have been. You could have done us (and yourself) a huge favor by telling us the real score like - months ago - instead of leaving everyone hanging like this.

But what I do NOT understand is the “Area 51” secrecy over this two bit media player? What could possibly be so important that you cannot just say one of these  two things:

1. Folks - it’s the end of the line. The WDTV is now officially discontinued and unsupported.

Or

1. Folks - here it is - the final firmware update for the WDTV Live…Knock yourselves out. The WDTV is now officially discontinued and this final firmware is not valid for any techincal support.

Do you really think that anyone really cares at this point if you finally slam the lid on this thing and telling the masses what’s really going on? It’s not like WD has millions at stake here - as you already have our money. (and probably a lot more from those who bought on of your subsequent “revisions”)

But keeping us hanging here for almost a year -  and now be told it’s an “eventuality” is - in my opinion -  a truly disappointing and half-a**ed way for a manager to treat the community he manages.

VP

Honestly, I wasn’t offended.  I just though it was funny that you called my updates moronic, then you wanted me to give you another update.

Look, I’ve told you every thing I know.  There’s nothing more to tell.  If you don’t believe there will ever be another release, then by all means, move on.  As for whether the product is considered EOL (end of life), that has not been determined.  As for Area 51 secrecy, there’s never been any public proof of alien conspiracies. 

Vocalpoint wrote:

Right, wanna venture a guess what happens, when he stays consistent with his previous statements, option 3:

No idea, when the update will come, no more info available at this time.

mazerati wrote:

heavenlydmeonic wrote:

Actually I didn’t specifically say that to everyone, only the ones who felt that it was ok to insult a contributer, albeit a WD employee, in this case.  But you got that didn’t you, or did you read it “out of context”, i.e. only the bits you wanted to read and hence comment on those parts.

If I may ask if you to pint the “self critical” finger, if you read your comment above, do you think I wouldn’t be able to rip it to shreds?? Especially your second paragraph.

But I won’t. I don’t need to, as I’d just like to promote a little civility.

if you wanted to get in touch with the top brass, its easy. but even though I’ve found a way to contact them, I’m not going to bleep at them. I’d rather let Bill progress this

I guess I could sit here and “rip this to shreds”, but I can see that you are one of those people who have little to no sense of humor, and you seem like one of those complacent sheeple types anyway, so … I won’t. Or maybe I will just imply that I can and let you work yourself up into a nerd rage.

PS - I don’t drink, so I won’t take you up on your offer of a pint of “self critical” anything, thanks.

P.P.S - The Shift Key makes capital letters. Pro Tip of the day. English is my third language, ffs…

Honestly, I wasn’t offended.  I just though it was funny that you called my updates moronic, then you wanted me to give you another update.

Look, I’ve told you every thing I know.   There’s nothing more to tell.  If you don’t believe there will ever be another release, then by all means, move on.  As for whether the product is considered EOL (end of life), that has not been determined.  As for Area 51 secrecy, there’s never been any public proof of alien conspiracies. 

Then would you mind providing contact info for someone who might know what the deal is? Or a valid phone number to call,  so people who are NOT happy with the lack of information provided, to call and talk to someone who is knowledgable about the status of firmware for the WD Live Plus? And I don’t mean some blackhole email address where customer concerns will he ignored, of the generic Support number where the outsourced support doesn’t even know what a WD Live is. Someone in the US who can explain clearly why WD has not addressed and released firmware to resolve issues introduced with the last firmware. For over a year.

I don’t see what the problem with a request like this is. You don’t have answers. People here want answers. Put them in touch with people who do.

If it’ end of life for the WD Live Plus, I am good with that. I will eventually purchase something else when my three WD Live Plus’ die, but the (in my opinion) lack of compentent support for the Live and Live Plus (read any firmware thread here for examples) say a lot about how WD feels about it’s customers.

I think someone should know about that, other than people in a forum.

I never said I didn’t know what the deal is.  I just said I didn’t know when a firmware update would happen.  Look, if I can’t tell you, then NO ONE can either.  It’s a non-disclosure issue. 

Bill_S wrote:

It’s a non-disclosure issue. 

A non-disclosure issue?  Just what the heck could be so earth shattering for a seemingly EOL ,dead product that could in any way, shape or form be worthy of “non-disclosure”. 

Isn’t  “non-disclosure” is generally reserved for products that actually “matter " and might need to remain under raps” so a product rollout or  marketing blitz actually has some impact.

A firmware update (that’s now a year late)  is definitely not worth wasting time with “non-disclosure”.

VP

For those of you who are done with waiting, the AIOS HD is now just $55 online!! You really should never even think of buying a WDTV in any of its iterations. US only, but Canada has it for $65 with a MIR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815645001&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=4000185&SID=skim2927X594702Xf0cb06fdcbc88e3dbe112667029309be

maybe the review here ought to be read first

http://hardocp.com/article/2011/12/26/pivos_aios_hd_media_player_review/5

"

The amateurish user interface, misspellings in the menu, typos, and incorrect products and features on the packaging and unusual error prompts with “I know” as the only option certainly doesn’t make you feel like this product comes from “a group of industry veterans and renown platform developers.”

Treating customers like beta testers with the constant firmware updates, the trial and error selection process for peripherals, and lack of documentation for supported hardware and features is just mind boggling. There are so many issues with the AIOS that I am astounded that this is actually a retail product.

Pivos tells us there are more firmware revisions on the horizon that may or may not fix the laundry list of issues outlined in this review. Putting the company’s current firmware track record aside, a new firmware revision will surely give current beta testers AIOS owners hope.

It is our opinion that the AIOS is a beta product that, while it has great potential, should never have shipped as a retail product"

have we heard that before?! :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: And, to be fair, also this newer review from Amazon. I’ve got, by the way, no vested interest in AIOS, I merely hope to persuade some people not to buy anything from WD, such is my opinion of how they’ve treated us with ‘non disclosure’ nonsense. I think the AIOS is good, I think there are better players and all have flaws. I’m just REALLY peeved at WD, leaving me with a box that worked badly, rebooted frequently and was promised, for a year, to be fixed.

http://www.amazon.com/review/RYH36LY5FXLNQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B005M1QP7O&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

"

21 of 24 people found the following review helpful

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a replacement for WDTV HD Live/Plus arrived! , October 28, 2011

This review is from: AIOS HD Media Center, Full HD 1080p, Gigabit Network, USB 3.0 data, Flash Reader, 3.5" SATA 2 (Electronics)

I tried quite a few media players for NAS and DLNA. Nothing quite compared to WDTV HD Live in simplicity and easy of use. Unfortunately WDTV is a mess when it comes to vendor firmware - the only way to enjoy it is to update to alternative WDLXTV firmware. FW v.1.03.49 is the only one that works reliably, so for that very reason do not go higher with WDLXTV FW.

Enough about WDTV, AIOS is working flawlessly for me after firmware update to v.2.8.0.5. Tested with full BR rips with TrueHD and DTS-HD[MA] (leave default DTS-HD = 7.1) - works, no lip sync issues. 1080/24p works. The vendor is actively supporting the product. I like GUI simplicity, direct access to Audio, Subtitles, Zoom, GoTo (my favorite one), list mode navigation and etc. Unit offers rich functionality for very reasonably price point. I will continue to test it and post any findings later on. Overall the unit is a A+ rated job, cudos to folks who designed it."