Replacing / Unbricking a 2TB WD MyCloud

A few comments on the first gen unbrick procedure and the errors, similar to the step 8 one you saw, that I’ve encountered in the past.

When running the first gen unbrick directions from User Fox_exe I typically get one or two errors, which I tend to bypass.The unbrick process typically completes despite these errors. Places where I typically get warnings or errors:

• Step 8. The command ‘mdadm -A /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2’ sometimes throws an error. I typically just ignore the error and continue to the next entry command in step 8.
  • Step 12. When using the original_v04.01.02-417.tar.gz file, I get a out of space error when running the command ‘dd if=kernel.img of=/dev/sdb5’. I typically ignore this error and proceed to the next entry command in step 12. When using the original_v03.04.01-230.tar.gz extracted files I do not get the out of space error message on sdb5.
  • When booting the My Cloud for the first time after unbricking the hard drive I eventually get a red front LED after the bootup completes. I then attempt to access the My Cloud Dashboard. If I am able to access the Dashboard I run a Settings > Utilities > System Factory Restore > System Only restore. This typically fixes the 0K capacity and the failed mount issue that typically happens with this unbrick procedure.

Its important to note that step 8 has several lines of commands one is supposed to enter.

8. Stop automatically loaded md raid (If need) and create new, normal (You can get errors "Not found". Its normal):
mdadm --stop /dev/md*
mdadm -A /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2
mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --metadata=0.9 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2
	# Type "watch cat /proc/mdstat" and wait 100%. Then - [ctrl] + [c] for close.

Each mdadm line entry is a separate command that gets entered, one at a time. One may get an error on the first and maybe the second mdadm line entry. After entering the third mdam line command one would then type “watch cat /proc/mdstat” and wait for it to indicated 100%.