Replacement drive warranty shortened?

I recently bought 6 new WD80EFAX Red hard drives, each comes with a new 3 yr warranty. Unfortunately one was DOA - click of death - and so I RMA’ed it. I got an email confirming my RMA along with the serial number of the replacement drive.

My concern is, when I searched up the warranty status with the serial number of the replacement drive, it expires in April 2020 - a scant 4-5 months away.

I get that they will replace drives with refurbished units, but shouldn’t they honor the original warranty period of 3 years? Has this been other people’s experience with RMAs?

Unfortunately that 3 year warranty is actually a “Limited Warranty” according to WD’s Warranty Policy .

Retail Kits that are assembled and branded by Western Digital, along with internal drives sold as “Component Drives” (internal hard drives that WD sold and specifically did not package as part of a Western Digital assembled and branded retail kit), come with a limited warranty.

Then if you read further down … In the United States, some states do not allow limitations on how long implied warranties last, so the above limitation may not apply to you.

I would be checking the laws of your State if you are in the US.

According to their policy, “WD’s warranty applies to repaired or replaced Products for the balance of the applicable period of the original warranty or ninety days from the date of shipment of a repaired or replaced Product, whichever is longer.”

So clearly the replaced drive should have a warranty equal to the original warranty of 3 years. Instead when I check the serial number’s warranty status, it expires 4/2020. I’ve contacted WD with no response from Support WD Case (121119-14322289)