Repalcement power supply/ enclosure

Hi all, I am new to the forum; I have a 2008 WD10EAVS Drive that is out of its enclosure. I plugged a laptop power supply into it by mistake in 2010 and it had not worked since. I do not know much about troubleshooting drives but no longer have the enclosure.

I have been reading a bunch on PCB replacements and figured I would start at getting a new enclosure, power supply etc and go from there. I assume the PCB is the board on the drive itself, not the board from the enclosure? Does anyone have any resources to troubleshooting a HDD components by chance? This seems like a better resource than say google. TIA.

Hi @boudah,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

First thing I would do is plug the drive into an sata port on a desktop computer to see if the drive itself works. If it doesn’t, you’d be better off investing in a new drive rather than trying to replace the circuit board, unless there’s important data on the drive you wish to retrieve. If the drive does work, it would be easier to just get an new enclosure and pop it in. I recently purchased one from Startech and it works beautifully, but Amazon has a bunch of different options. I would make sure that it’s aluminum and not plastic because aluminum acts as a heat sink that helps keep the drive from getting too hot, where plastic does not. Speaking of heat, look for one that also has at least one vent ( preferably 2 ) to allow heat to escape. Be aware that some enclosures are built for temporary use, such as for transferring data, or cloning a drive that will eventually end up inside a PC. Others are built specifically for long term use as an external drive. Good luck!