Rename/Move Files?

Is there a way to rename the devices (external hd, thumb drives) as you connect and sync them to the internal HD? Can you also move files from your thumb drive onto specific folders on the WD Hub? Thanks

The hub doesn’t seem to have a way to create a user-named folder, but you can do so from a networked pc. Once the folder is there you can use the hub to move files from any folder to the new folder, or do that from the networked pc also.

The usb sync folder names created when syncing from a thumb drive seem to be automatic based upon the thumb drive hardware id. I suspect if you removed or renamed those folders, the next time you synced it would create them again. I just move the synced media files to folders of my chosing and leave the sync folders empty.

As mentioned, use “Windows Explorer” for Windows. No other fancy software is needed to create folders, rename files etc just like a normal hard drive.

There are several options for how you view files. You can choose to view ONLY the internal hard drive or anything connected via USB. There’s also a separate option dealing with the Network.

So you need to experiment to get a feel for what you can do.

Because Wi-Fi is so slow I often use my USB stick to copy a movie (6x faster) then I use Windows Explorer to move it.

A little confused: I have a 1TB external HD packed with movies in .avi and .mkv format. I plugged it into my Live Hub and transfered all files to the unit. I also wanted to add a few more so I used my USB drive to add them. This created another folder besides the movie folder. I would like to keep it organized and have 1 folder “movies” with all my movies including the newer ones I continue to add. I noticed an option to access networked HD. What I gather I would need to access my networked HD connected to my computer and make neccessary renaming neccessary and the Hub will automatically accept the changes? 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Go here to download the discovery tool

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=1010&sid=110&lang=en

Download this on your desktop or laptop and run it. You can then MAP the wdlivetvhub as a network drive and modify/rename/alter do what you wish on it. You can create one folder and move all your videos in there.

I hope this helps, if not, repost.

How do I map it I ran the tool but it didn’t pick up my WD hub.

Currently you should have your live hub’s ethernet cord running from the back of it to your router or home network right?

Im running in windows xp. So I would double click on My Network places. Double click on entire network. Then another clikc on microsoft windows network and you should see WORKGROUP. Click on it and wdtvlivehub should appear.

Once that appears you can right click and Map network drive to your desktop and transfer files between the two.

Hopefully I was clear enough. If not, repost.

I have it hooked up wireless and Win 7

Were you able to get it. Please accept solution and give kudos!!

I got it to work my next question why can’t Divx files transfer?

It’s Slow to transfer wireless any faster ways?

I have the files and now I am trying to move the usb stick files into the 1 movie library I created on my PC and it takes forever to transfer the files. Also when I click on configure it asks for a user name and pass.

I used the options on the hub to move files works great. Thanks

One fast way to move files from your pc to the hub is to connect your pc directly to your hub through the ethernet port using a crossover cable.

Yes, that is what I’ve done. The speed I get is aroun 11 to 15 mb/s… Very low speeds considering it is a Gigabit connection.

I get around 70-98 mb/s when I connect MY BOOK USB3.0 2TB to my pc… I believe the HUB is not powerful enough to handle the traffic. I would love to hear more insight from WD into as why the hub’s speed is so dang low…

heid4055 wrote:

Yes, that is what I’ve done. The speed I get is aroun 11 to 15 mb/s… Very low speeds considering it is a Gigabit connection.

I get around 70-98 mb/s when I connect MY BOOK USB3.0 2TB to my pc… I believe the HUB is not powerful enough to handle the traffic. I would love to hear more insight from WD into as why the hub’s speed is so dang low…

Just curious, does the pc that you connect to the hub using the crossover cable also has gigabit connection? Mine doesn’t so I can’t tell if it will be a lot faster if both ports are gigabit capable. I’m thinking that maybe you can only maximize the gigabit connection of the hub if the other ports are gigabit as well. Maybe, I’m wrong with this so that’s why I’m asking coz I can’t test this myself.

The gigabit capabilty is cripped within the hub.

See here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3990/western-digital-wdtv-live-hub-review/4