Remove VCD Manager from Mac desktop

I hate to bring this subject up again.  It seems that nearly every MyBook user has this problem.  But I’ve looked at every posting, followed every set of instructions, and I still have the problem.

I have a MyBook for Mac and I am using it on a MacMini running OS X Version 10.6.7.  I never installed the WD SmartWare.  I don’t want it.  The WD SmartWare VCD on my desktop is an annoyance I’d like to get rid of permanently.

The official instructions from WD are very clear.  Download and run the firmware updater.  Run it.  Disconnect and reconnect the drive.  Reboot the Mac.  Did all that.  Check.

Then download and run the VCD Manager.  Run it.  Select the drive.  Proceed the rest of the way…  But the VCD Manager says it won’t work with the firmware version I have, and I must first update the firmware.

So I’m in a vicious loop.  The VCD Manager says I have to do the firmware update for it to work.  But when I run the firmware updater, VCD Manager still tells me the same thing.

What do I do now?

Seems like you have one of the new drives that don’t work with the VCD manager. You’ll have to install Smartware, then go to settings> drive settings> Virtual CD and see if it gives you the option to disable it.

I installed smartware after I had the same problem as the OP only I dont get anthing that lets me go to settings.  I get [Back Up Files]   [Set up Drive]   and retrieve a backup  No preferences or anthing like that.  I click any option and it takes me to the same screen as set up drive.  From there I get an install option that puts the same app on my comp that does exactly the same thing.   Like it doesn’t realize its installed.   Neither the VCD Manager nor the data on the VCD work!

I don’t know about Macs but in Windows 7 I just went into the device manager and disabled the VCD there. This was for a Mybook about 9 months old. They have made changes since. I didn’t mess with firmware update or any of that.

Joe

alexh8smartware wrote:

I installed smartware after I had the same problem as the OP only I dont get anthing that lets me go to settings.  I get [Back Up Files]   [Set up Drive]   and retrieve a backup  No preferences or anthing like that.  I click any option and it takes me to the same screen as set up drive.  From there I get an install option that puts the same app on my comp that does exactly the same thing.   Like it doesn’t realize its installed.   Neither the VCD Manager nor the data on the VCD work!

Reinstall Smartware selecting “Backup files”. If you don’t see 4 tabs (Home, Backup, Retrieve and Settings) then Smartware is not fully installed on your computer, hence, you won’t have access to settings.