Remote WD Cloud Backup to Time Capsule on local network

Hi all,

My Setup

• Macbook Pro
  • WD Cloud connected by LAN to modem/router
  • Time Capsule connected by LAN to modem/router

What I would like to achieve
To store all my media on WD Cloud Drive and then include that data in my time machine backups to Time Capsule. Automated backups of my media centre.

Is there a way to achieve this?

Can I use the remote backup feature in WD Cloud dashboard to send backups to my TC?

Hope someone can shed some light on this, i’m a newbie!

Thanks,
Craig

Hi there,

The remote backup feature, only works from a My cloud EX2 and EX4 to another EX 4 or EX 2 or My cloud Mirror. Hope this helps

Well, it depends what you mean by ‘remote’. If you mean ‘outside the local network’, then ArMak is probably correct.

If you mean ‘remote from the MyCloud, but still in the local network’, then, provided the time capsule behaves like a normal NAS, you ought to be able to select it as the target of a SafePoint backup. See chapter 11 of the user manual.

It may be possible to get TimeMachine to back up one NAS to another, but I’ll have to leave that to Apple users.

The advantage of the SafePoint method is that it is done by the MyCloud, and doesn’t need to have your Mac running.

Hi,
In order to include external drives to a Time Machine backup you need to have the drive connected to the MacBook directly.
So for example, if you have Drive A and Drive B attached to the macbook with USB for example and you are telling TM to include them (TM settings) they would be part of the TM backup when it does the backup of your Macbook.

Ch

Hey!

Sorry for my late reply and thank you for your comment.

When I say remote, I do in fact mean ‘remote from the MyCloud, but still in the local network’. So everything is connected on wifi.

I am going to look into chapter 11 and see what I find.

Thanks,
Craig