Remote access stops working after my internet IP changes

Hi

I’m having problems with remote acces because it stops working after my ISP restarts my connection. That happens every 24h and it’s really annoying not to be able to use the drive as it was supposed to.

I configured port forwarding on the router and it all works. 

The only problem is that my MyCloud drive doesn’t refresh IP address on WD site after it has been changed. 

The port forwarding still works after the IP changes because I can access the MyCloud UI (not enter completely because it hangs on authenticating) if I connect to the new IP or noip.me address that I have.

If I go to cloud access settings and turn off remote access, and then turn it back on, then it works again until the IP changes again.

Is there some option to overcome this problem. I suppose I’m not the only one with this problem.

Thanks for help.

Simon

Hi,

Are you able to get a fix IP from your ISP to see if the issue stills the same?

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately my ISP doesn’t have that option, but even the ISPs that give you that option, it’s just too expensive.

The monthly price for fixed IP is almost 100$.

I can try to use it at work where we have a fixed IP, and I’m practically sure it will work flawlessly.

I’m just surprised that others don’t have the same problem. I don’t beleive that only I have ISP that changes IP, but maybe for others it doesn’t happen every 24h so they didn’t even notice that MyCloud not working is connected to this.

Now I’m trying to figure out how to make it possible to disable and then enable remote access from outside of my network.

Maybe through ssh. That would be some kind of solution for me.

I have the same problem. If you search old posts, other people face the same issue, too. I think we just have to wait for WD to fix this in the next firmware release.  If you are interested, I post my temporary solution here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/unable-to-access-my-WD-mycloud-device-remotely-via-internet/td-p/726452

Thanks for the reply.

Nice to know that I’m not the only one with the problem. I will send an e-mail to tech support also (maybe our problem gets solved when there are more of us).

As a workaround I will try to create a script that checks outside IP address and if it changes turn off and then on the Cloud access. I will try to avoid to reboot it.

I have exactly the same problem and, I must confess, I feel pretty cheesed off.

I feel cheated by WD.  Basically, they misused throughout the name “Cloud” and produced a rather poor software and

server that cannot cater for most of us who do not have a static IP addressed assigned by the ISP.

I have a pretty decent ASUS N66U router, I tried to use DDNS but as all the WD stuff for remote address only to be

established from INSIDE the local network is no good.  It does not seem possible to access at all the data from

outside without rebooting.  But if we are outside the local network we cannot reboot …

My WD Mycloud will go back to PC World as it is advertised and sold quite simply under false pretences.

Wake up WD: this is extremely poor.  Small changes to WD servers and Mycloud software would do the tric (as others,

far better than me have pointed out).

Awful, and never again.  Next time I wills pend more and get a Synology.

simon_st wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Nice to know that I’m not the only one with the problem. I will send an e-mail to tech support also (maybe our problem gets solved when there are more of us).

As a workaround I will try to create a script that checks outside IP address and if it changes turn off and then on the Cloud access. I will try to avoid to reboot it.

Please share the script once you finish. I’ve also been trying to look for a command to reset cloud access or to re-register new IP address in the WD internal DDNS system. I realize rebooting everyday may be too “harsh” a solution.