Remote access stops connecting

Hi,

I recently setup up my parents Win7 computer to view photos of our child remotely.  I created a user with their name and emailed the access link via the Dashboard.  I personally went to their house and clicked on the Western Digital welcome link in their email and followed a link to download the MyCloud Desktop app.  Everything works well for a few days as I verified that I could view and download all the photos on the EX2.  However within days they will call me up to say that a failed to connect message apppears.  I’ll then resend the link and reinstall the desktop app and all is good for a few more days until it fails again.  Do I need to do anything with port forwarding, etc since it worked well for days?  My external IP address has not changed.

Thank you for any help the community can provide.

Hello there, You can try to check that ports 80 and 443 are open or forwarded, you can also try to disable cloud access and reboot the drive, then after the drive is rebooted enable cloud access again.   

1 Like

Thanks ArMak for the suggestion about turning off cloud access/reboot/turn on cloud access.  I’m getting some connection but I’ll see how long it lasts.

Just for my clarification, is the port forwarding technically needed?  I’m asking not to question the suggestion but more wondering if it was designed to work right out of the box without having to fiddle with all those settings? 

Thanks again for taking the time to help.