Remote access options without MioNet or hacking?

What are my options for accessing the drive remotely WITHOUT using MioNet and WITHOUT hacking?

My main goal is to securely (via a login prompt)  access the drive without having to have any additional software installed such that if I was away from home and needed a file, I could read/write to the drive via a browser or a mapped drive. 

I understand that FTP access is readily available under the advanced configuration menu but this would require me to use FTP software on any machine that I was accessing from. 

Also, after reviewing a number of sites describing hacking steps, I still don’t believe I have the knowledge to head down that road. 

What are my options?  How do I need to setup the advanced configuration to enable such an option?

Any advice is much appreciated. 

There is no other remote access without Mionet (rubbish) or FTP without “hacking”. If you only want to read your data, you can also use an Internet Browser for connection, you dont need an ftp client:

ftp://blablub-IP

or directly with Name/Password:

ftp://name:password@blablub-IP

Upload via Internet Browser is not possible.

Hey D-u-d-e,

Hacking wouldn’t bother me, but there is much I do not know.

Re your advice to scubes:

If I am using my MyBook on my network at home (typical DSL connection with dynamic IP address assigned by provider - I know how to find out this address) and the drive is connected via my router, which is a Linksys WRT54G (and maybe - ? - has a hand in determining the drive’s address on the LAN, which I also know), then:

How do I come up with the necessary “blablub-IP” name or literal address needed to access the MyBook from the Internet?

Are username and password simply those of any of the user accounts I’ve set up on the drive?

What (other) configuration of the drive and / or router are necessary in order for this to work?

What are good sources of information on this and similar questions for someone like myself who can deal with technical stuff but has neither time nor ambition to become a networking expert?

Grateful for any help I may receive!

AuchGanzNet

Just enable the FTP service in the options, forward the ports on your router to the NAS’s static IP and you can remotely access the FTP as long as you know your network IP address (mine has been the exact same IP for the last 10 months).  Mine works great. MioNet=bloatware.

My 2 cents:

FTP is extremely insecure.

I don’t consider it to open my precious data on it.

My experience with the MioNet access to my WD from any browser over the Internet,

even on a foreign computer, has been positive so far.

The only condition is that the browser has the Sun Java plug-in.

Because MioNet in the browser is a Java Applet.

Almost all browsers, even on foreign computers have the Java plug-in.

If they don’t, installation is even easier than Flash or Acrobat.

How it works:

Your WD runs a small MioNet server, that contacts the Internet MioNet,

and announces itself there.

Your Internet browser runs the MioNet Java Applet, that logs on to the Internet MioNet,

and there it connects to your WD at home.

Very secure and highly encrypted.

Bloated? Maybe. I don’t care. I care more about my own data.

Just my 2 cents…

Greetings,

M Hx

i was wondering the very same thing scubes. when i had mionet enabled…i would have to powercycle the wd network hard drive once a week because it would go offline and pcs would say cant connect to the drive. maybe it interfered with the standby mode or something…i dunno?! all is well for a month now after disabling that functionality!

If you have a dynamic IP address (most home users do), you can always use a Dynamic DNS service to get a DNS name that gets mapped to your IP address. I use the free service at dyndns.org ( http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/) myself and haven’t had any problems. There are plenty of other dynamic DNS providers as well. To use it, you run a client that will periodically login and update the IP address in the database.

Many routers have a built-in client. If your router has this option, you just have to fill in your account information. If not, you can run a small application on a computer on your network.

Once it’s configured, you access your home network through a domain name like MyDomain.atx.ch and don’t have to worry about the IP address.