Reformatting My Book Live

Please can someone help me, I have a My Book Live (Twonky) I want to reformat to use as a standard storage device connected to my home (wired) network, I’ve spent several hours searching the WD community without finding a SIMPLE solution.

As I’m not a Computer expert simple advice please.

I wish you all to stay safe and only follow recognised medical advice.

Hi,

You could refer to the following links:

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7019

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22923

Hi, Jonty . S,

Many thanks for your advice, but,

Using the first link I completed a full reset, and I still have the same “My Book Live”.

Maybe I didn’t explain what I’m trying to achieve clearly.

I want to end up with a NAS, simple without any additional functions, what maybe, could be described as “Dumb Storage” you put something in and you can take whatever you put in out.

If I use the second link in your email and go to “Map a named drive”, once I’ve identified “My Book Live” , for example Drive Z, then in Win 10 using the command prompt, type format /Z.

Please will that achieve what I want?

Stay safe and follow intelligent professional advice.

Best regards

David

Hi, Can some please help me to find a solution, I carefully followed Jonty’s advice and ended up with the same position. IF map the drive and for example call it Z, then can I using the PC’s command prompt, format Z, will that give me a “Basic NAS device” ?

David, MyBook Live is a NAS and not a direct connected drive .

So you can’t format from Windows like an USB drive. You can only map as network resource. The internal formatting ( Ext4 or Ext4 ) is managed by WD Live firmware and is totally transparent to Windows.

If you don’t like to use as a network drive you can open the case, remove the hard disk and put it in an USB case. In this case you can format it in NTFS, ExFAT of FAT32 from Windows like any external USB drive.

Hi Ricky65, OK its clear to me that my lack of knowledge is and ability to clearly explain, what I want is the real issue here, but I will iry again step by step.

1. I want it connect to my home wired network.
  2. I want the Hard Disk reformatted as a single storage space.
  3. I DO NOT, want any of the Twonky features.
  4. I DO NOT, want any Could features.

In the original User Manual index, it states format see page 48, page 48 doesn’t have information about formatting? regards David