Red light issue (HD1) returns after 5.27.161 Firmware

I had a problem with a red light on HD1 which I know wasn’t the HDD (three different IronWolf Pros inc 2 which worked fine in HD2?) and that was sorted by a previous firmware update - in fact the NAS has been working fine for a few months now.

Three days after installing 5.27.161 the red light issue on HD1 has returned? I’ve rolled back to the previous firmware and will see what happens.

I was within a whisker of moving over to Synology in the summer :slight_smile:

There is a chart for the “meaning” of the red lights. One of which is if the disks are over 90 (95?)% full.

The next thing to check is the S.M.A.R.T data for the drives. You would want to find a way (I don’t know the way) to do that using SSH tools (i.e. I don’t recall the commands)

Hi - I went through all of this last summer inc sending reports to WD when they requested them. The HDDs are no more than 20% full.

I originally thought it was an issue with the HDD so RMAd it to Seagate - they sent a replacement. But then the replacement showed a red light on HD1 so I swapped the HDDs over and yet again within a few days the light on HD1 came on.

So according to my NAS 3 Ironwolf Pros are faulty? but just when installed on HD1 :thinking:

A firmware update late summer seemed to have solved it and until the Jan update everything was fine. I’ve just rolled back to the Oct firmware update and so far (fingers crossed) no red light.

I am now very wary of firmware updates - another user with a similar problem told me last summer he just ignores the red light now.

1 Like