Red light - device offline

Hello,

my MyCloud device started to be unaccessible remotely and I realized it has the red light on.
I tried resetting it etc… without success.
The hard drive itself seems to be working, I can detect it from my Mac when I plug it from a docking station, but since the different volumes are not formatted in a MacOs (nor windows) friendly format, it does not possible to access the content of the disk.
Is there anyway I can access the data other than through the WDMycloud OS 5 which won’t connect to the device? There seem to be tedious solutions to recover the files ‘manually’, which I obviously don´t want to do for the 2TB+ of photos stored there… and I welcome any advice here.
Thanks in advance and best regards,

Matthieu

You need to use Linux or a Linux driver to access the user data on a single bay My Cloud. There are up to seven or eight partitions on a single bay My Cloud hard drive, one of the partitions is dedicated to storing the user data/files.

A red front LED typically means a drive failure. One can replace the hard drive with a new one, use the site search feature (magnifying glass icon top right) to find numerous past discussions on how to replace a single bay My Cloud hard drive, typically called “unbricking”. The method for doing so is unique to each version of the single bay My Cloud.

Note that the My Cloud Home is a completely different device that uses a different operating system. If one has a My Cloud Home, see the My Cloud Home subforum.

1 Like