Recycle bin location? pr 4100

I have been able to use the clear recycle bin under the general settings but I am unable to see where the recycle bin folder is located under the dashboard, windows file explorer, or any other location. I am worried that if i send something to the recycle bin but need to retrieve it, I will be unable to access the folder and find the file.

Others had this same issue with the DL/EX series and someone posted the solution and I saved it. Here it is: I have edit it for better clarity.

Followed these steps to configure Recycle Bin:

Web browser: Log into control panel via dashboard

Shares: Pick a share to add a Recycle Bin to:
Under Share Profile: Active share: Recycle Bin ON.
( i.e go into Shares and select Public and turn ON Recycle Bin)

Now under your Network Places the Recycle Bin should show up. (e.g. in Windows File Explorer/Network)

_However, deleted files were not going to the Recycle Bin. _

_I rebooted the NAS and now deleted files show up in the Recycle Bin. _

I hope this helps someone else. I could not find an answer anywhere so had to invent my own

2 Likes

mike, THANK YOU. Serious oversight by WD on this one. Already lost some filed during an inadvertent delete (setting up a new NAS, freeing old hard drives
 full of minefields)

anyway, you are the man and I owe you a beer.

How far from Seattle are you? :wink:

PS: Do you have a copy of the full user manual; either on the drive or downloaded? Maybe it is in there for the new device. If it isn’t, yes, SERIOUS oversight at this time. WD is not “famous” for accurate and complete user manuals, nor corrected ones.

the only user manual is the downloaded one, the box didn’t have one at all. All it covers is the general tab recycle bin, it doesn’t cover establishing a place where you can see the recycle bin or anything else.

This is too complex of a gadget to not have a copy of the user manual nearby to refer to when needed. I downloaded the copy for my DL2100, and glad I did.

This same problem has been driving me bonkers as well. I could see the Recycle Bin in Windows Explorer by opening the drive under ‘Network’ but there appeared to be nothing in the folder. Today I tried mapping \mycloudpr4100\Recycle Bin - Volume_1. It connected right away, and when I opened that folder there were all my deleted files. Frustrating to say the least and this isn’t explained anywhere. It would be nice if the recycle bin option was handled better.

Don’t know why you had to map it. Mine just shows up on My Cloud in network; everything is there for me. Glad you figured it out!

1 Like

I’m not exactly sure why it is working that way either, and it’s been frustrating because the files are not visible going the way for the network folder in file explorer. The only thing I can think is that we are running Windows 10 Pro and my account and PC are joined through AzureAD to my work account. Not sure if that is the issue, but it is at least nice to have found a workaround and get at those files if need be.

I had this exact same problem of not being able to easily access my WD PR4100 NAS’s recycle bin! I wanted to easily access the NAS recycle bin through internet explorer. I found through the help of this thread, plus another thread, that it is a two-step process:

1. Follow what mike27oct said in his reply to enable there even BEING a recycle bin in your NAS. Open the NAS dashboard from your web browser.

2. Follow the steps listed in this WD Mycloud Recycler Bin Article, or follow along with me:
    My Cloud: Recycle Bin
    Basically, in Windows file explorer, Right click on “This PC”
    Click “Map Network Drive”
    Under the drive pulldown menu, select the drive you want the recycle bin mapped to
    Under folder, enter verbatim: “\device-name\Recycle Bin - Volume_1” (minus the quotes, where device-name is your device name).
    You may have to click the radio box listed “Connect using different credentials” because it didn’t seem to work for me at first even using this. Enter your NAS username and password as if you were logging into the web control page.

That’s it! Only took me 6 months to figure out.

Does somebody have instructions for this same issue from a MacBook Pro?
I am not able to empty the trash bin from the cloud, not available.
Thanks!