Recovering data from My Cloud Home Duo during MyCloud outage

We have been unable to gain access to the non-public files on our My Cloud Home Duo NAS system due to the my cloud server outage. After a lot of digging, we were going to either have to pay $89 for recovery software to rebuild the RAID and extract the data or find another way to assemble the array.

After successfully gaining access to our files using a Linux system, I made a video documenting how to do this for others that have been affected. [WD NAS Hack Recovery: How to Access and Extract Your Locked Data! - YouTube] Hopefully this is helpful for others. I’m not sure if all of the RAID NAS products would be able to use this method to recover the data but it worked perfectly for us.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Cody

3 Likes

I just sent your video to my tech company working on my single drive unit. I will let you know if it works.

Fingers crossed. I hope it helps, we were pretty majorly affected by this whole situation so if it can help someone else it was worth the effort.

1 Like

Actually just used your video to recover all our files for our business! I did need assistance with the coding portion from our IT guru but it was definitely possible. We were able to grab all 4TB worth ! Just wanna say thank you! My staff will be thrilled tomm.
Dario.

1 Like

I have the single MyCloud Home. Is it also possible to retrieve the Data in this way ?

Also the most important question. Is the Data encrypted on the hard Drive or Not ? I read different answers to that. Sometimes it is being said yes and Sometimes it is being said No. If it is being encrypted then I don’t See a way to get Access to the Data by dismantling the unit.

I’m so glad!

I can’t be sure since I don’t have one to test with but I believe it would work for you as well. Some or most of the steps may not be necessary for a single drive unit so it should be even easier to get to your data. It just depends how they formatted the drive. If it is a windows compatible format then once you plug it into your computer and restart you should be able to access it as a normal drive. If it is formatted for Linux then you can follow the steps in the video, skip the raid related ones (the mdadm steps), and you should gain access. You can also follow the steps in the video I have linked in the description of my video because he shows how to mount a Linux drive on windows.

Now as to encryption. I don’t believe they are encrypted. Ours was not and I don’t believe any of the consumer models would be by default. That said, it’s possible that there is a setting in the dashboard at enables encryption but I’m not sure if that is the case.

Best of luck. Let me know if I can help further.
Cody

Hello CodiferStevens,

At first, sorry for my english, i’m french and i speak a little english.
I have “my cloud home duo”, all my works data are stored on this and its very important for me and my work to recuparate these data.
my english is bad so i don"t undertand your video on you tube.
Can you explain step by step (by writing) how can i recuparate my data please ? (i specify i’m anoob in “computer science”.
I think i understand this :

• remove disk from the case
  • connect disk to computer with cable USB/SATA
  • use linux software (wich software ?) to access my data and copy them to another hard disk ?

is it right ? i think im wrong and i dont want lose my data

thank you very much for your answer (and sorry for my english)

it looks like this is working (At least I hope it is). The tech company I am using told me an hour ago that they were half-way through downloading everything and didn’t want to stop it to verify things are ok till it is done downloading. I am hopefully getting my data back this afternoon, thanks for the info.

Remember folks you can always pop open the top cover and pull the drives out and have a USB to SATA adapter and pull off all your stuff that way.

Time to look at Synology NAS products