Recently had to do a RMA for my WD My Book Essentials 1.5TB

I had to replace my previous My Book Essential 1.5 tb because of a internal hardware issue. I just got a replacement for it today. I plugged it in and it installed the hdd software for usb stuff, and I can view the hard drive fine on the drives list. But when I clicked to access it, It was unavailable to access because it was RAW data. So I’m formatting it right now, and hopefully that will allow me to access it. I’ve been getting alot of trouble from these particular hard drives. Not too happy about that. :confused: When you get a return replacement hdd, it’s suppose to be easy to just plug in and use right?

domingothegamer wrote:

When you get a return replacement hdd, it’s suppose to be easy to just plug in and use right?

Yes, unless the drive was previously formatted for a different operating system. Try running  DLG 

You can write zeros to the drive and reformat.

Well, I formatted it. And it’s working fine. But Do I need to put the firmware update incase before I do anything? And about Firmware, Not sure if it’s the right place to post this, but the Firmware keeps failing to download firmware update. So I can’t update it even if I wanted to. Hope they fix this soon.

If the drive is working fine I recommend not to update. As a wise person once said " If it ain’t broke don’t fix it"

1 Like

I’m another if it ain’t broke don’t fix it person.

Joe

1 Like

Okay! Will leave it as is then… Topic solved :slight_smile: