Re: WD My Book Live Duo (4TB): DLNA issues - problems when working with LG Smart TV

I recently purchased a WD My Book Live Duo 4TB with Raid1.  I’ve set it up, enabled DLNA, and set it up in the Raid1 configuration.  It works fine on my wireless network, and I can access it with my laptop with no problem.  I tried streaming data to my Sony BDP-s390 and ran into some issues.  I am able to stream photos with no problem, but any time I try to play music or videos from the drive through the blu ray, the blu ray locks up and eventually shuts off.  The music is in mp3 format and the videos are in mp4.  The WD drive streams the music, videos, and photos to my iPhone with no problem through the WD 2go and WD Photos apps, but the video and music lock up the Sony blu ray.  I love the WD for the storage capacity and what DLNA I can use for the photos, but is there any way to get the videos and music to work?

If it’s working fine with the laptop and iPhone the problem could be with the bluray player. Try with other video formats/resolutions. 

Are you able to stream music and videos from your PC via the blue ray player?

So far I haven’t been able to stream from my laptop via the blu ray player.  I’m working on testing som different formats.  I’ve also contacted the Sony folks, but they couldn’t solve the issue.  I’m continuing to experiment with it.

You will need to take a look at the user manual or specs for the Blu Ray player. Typically they only support a limited number of formats for video/pictures.

I have tried playing music filesin mpeg4, avi, wmv, and mt2s formats.  I choose the video I wish to play on the blu ray player and play it.  The screen goes black for a moment, then a rotating loading symbol appears in the top right of the screen.  It rotates for a second then freezes.  It stays that way for 15 - 20 secons, then the blu ray icon for the player comes up on the screen and it turns off.  I’ve also tried playing mp3s and AACs for music.  They do the same thing when chosen.  I have looked at the manuals for both the WD MBL Duo drive and the Sony blu ray player.  These formats are shown as supported on both devices.  DLNA is enabled on the WD dashboard, and the blu ray player comes up in the list.  The icon appears on the blu ray player menu as well for streaming.  Is there some setting I am missing, or a conflict of some sort?

Sounds like the DLNA player on the BluRay is crashing.

The Sony Blu Ray player is set up with wifi included.  As I mentioned before, I’ve been able to stream the photos with no problem.  Is there any chance that setting up the Sony box with a wired setup might make a difference?

Possibly - WiFi bandwidth could certainly be an issue, so taking that out of the equation would help troubleshooting.

I tried a wired setup on the Sony BPD-S390 and it did not work.  So far as I can tell, it looks as if the WD MBLD drive is working properly.  I also reset the settings on my router and did a firmware update, but no luck.  The router is a Linksys WRT310N.  Would a different router make a difference here?

We have tested the s370 and S570 internally here - and both work. However; both these players are pretty limited in what video formats they support. The s370 supports MPEG2, MPG, and VOB. I bet the s390 is pretty similar to these.

1 Like

Per Sony the S390 supports the following video formats:

• AVCHD Disc Format Folder : BD/DVD/CD/USB/DLNA
  • MPEG-1 Video/PS (.mpg .mpeg, .m2ts, .mts) : BD/DVD/CD/USB/DLNA
  • MPEG-2 Video/PS, TS ( .mpg.mpeg, .m2ts, .mts) : BD/DVD/CD/USB/DLNA
  • MPEG-4 AVC (.mkv, .mp4, .m4v, .m2ts, .mts) : BD/DVD/CD/USB/DLNA
1 Like

So sounds like Avi and wmv definitely won’t play. It is likely that some of the formats have to be specifically encoded or have the right bit rates for this player.

I worked on a video last night and got to looking at some formats to convert it to.  In the program I used VOB was one of the choices.  I remembered that this was a format used in Sony Vegas, a video editing program, so I gave it a shot.   The video played perfectly from the WD NAS.  Many thanks to all of you with Western Digital for your help.  Now I’m going to work on finding a compatible music format that will stream to the Sony blu ray.  Again, many thanks, and kudos to Western Digital.  I’ve always been pleased with WD products, and this NAS is really going to open some new doors for me.