Raw file thumbnails......whats the answer to this?

Hi All,

just bought a wd my cloud and set it up with no problems.

However, it would appear that it won’t display a thumbnail for canon CR2 raw files, only jpeg. As the biggest reason for getting this was to be able to store and search remotely for images its a big disappointment. Searching these boards and the internet in general doesn’t seem to provide a solution, unless I’m missing something here.

So in short, do I have to live with the fact that RAW images will not display or does anyone have an answer? Seems incredible that a storage device that will probably be used by photographers a lot fails in this respect.

Regards, Ed

i doubt if you will find a cloud device to deal with RAWS, I normally shoot RAW + jpeg so not an issue for me

for local access whatever you use to view images on the computer should work with the mycloud although it will be a lot slower even on Gb Ethernet

for remote access I think you are stuck unless you generate your own thumbnails from the RAW images. if you do this the mycloud would generate its own thumbnails from these and these would be used for remote browsing. In therory you could map the drive with wd2go.com and use your current image viewer but this will be extremly slow as most ISPs have relativly low upload speeds

Thanks for the reply.

Not sure there should be a problem with displaying a thumbnail from the raw as ‘filebrower’ app seems to do this no problem using remote browsing and an ipad I’ve tried it on. Obviously there’s a time contraint with a lot of thumbnails but that holds for jpegs too. If filebrower displays CR2 thumbnails I don’t see why wd’s future software couldn’t perform this task too.

As you say it, shooting raw+jpeg is probably a good rule of thumb in future!

Ed

If filebrower displays CR2 thumbnails I don’t see why wd’s future software couldn’t perform this task too.

If FileBrowser gives you remote access to your drive (away from your LAN? Really?), and gives you thumbnails for your RAW images, why bother using the WD app? Just use the FileBrowser app, as it will have much greater versatility than the WD app.

One of the main uses of thumbnail images for remote browsing it to prevent the need to send large file size images over low bandwidth links. So the thumbnailing must be done at source, not at the destination end. So, when your FileBrowser app is presenting thumbnails of your CR2 images, what is creating the thumbnail? Or is it fetching the entire CR2 image and then showing a tiny version of it? Or does the FileBrowser app have a matching server-side app to do the thumbnailing?

Yes, I’m sure WD could add support for RAW files. Why not suggest it to them?

[Hint: we’re not WD employees; we’re customers, like you]

Can’t see the point in having two files on camera & disc. The raw image contains all the data captured, it is converted to a jpeg in camera so you can view it on the camera screen. This information is also stored in the raw file on the camera. Therefore saving as raw & jpeg, you are actually saving as raw + jpeg and jpeg…
But do feel there should be something built into the WD software to enable us to see thumb nails

I exported all pictures to jpg 4k resolution and max 5MB file size, screen sharpening using Lightroom. Easy process, simply selected all folders and it took around 9 hours to export…
Now at least able to see and have all pictures available via iOS My Cloud App.
I back up my complete Lightroom library incl. cr2 files and movie files to an external HDD.