Rather happy with my My Cloud but can I increase the speed?

deepakvrao wrote:

Just got mine yesterday. I think the setup as well as the dashboard UI etc were far easier/better than the Seagate GoFlex Home that I had given up on a year or so ago.

Transferring about 300GB of data [RAW and JPEGS, between 30MB to 5MB files] from a USB # HDD connected to my daughters iMac, which is 2011, so nly has USB 2, and the iMac connected wired to a 10/100 old router. Got a speed of about 45GB per hour.

If I use my new Macbook Pro with USB 3, will I get a better speed? I guess I can check this also.

If I buy a Gigabit router [I think that is a 10/10/1000?] will I get a better speed?

Any idea how much improvement?

It is generally recommended when transferring a large amount of files to the WD My Cloud to connect the computer via Ethernet cable to the same router (or hub/switch) the WD My Cloud is connected to. The speed of transfer will be limited if one is not using a Gigabyte speed router/gateway (or hub/switch). If using WiFi the speed will generally be lower than if connected via Ethernet cable.

If you use the forum search feature you’ll find numerous threads discussing speed issues and potential workarounds. In particular see the following thread: before you pack up your WD and return it, let’s talk about Copying Speeds!