Raspberry Pi as a desktop PC and media server

Hi,

I would like to create a dual boot raspberry pi for my daughter with the following;

1. Raspian pixel desktop
  2. OMSC / Kodi media centre

Thinking of getting a Pi Drive for the purpose.

My questions;

1. Is the Noobs multiboot the better option for me over berryboot? From what I understand the Noobs version does not share system files which sounds more stable?

2. Can I have some setup advice where I can choose how to partition the drive where each install has access to as much drive space as possible?

3. Better still, can each install share a common drive partition?

Thanks

Michael

Hi, sorry for the delay- I’ve been traveling. You can use NOOBS v2.4 (latest) at raspberrypi.org which now supports OS installation onto USB drive (previously NOOBS only installed to the SDcard). We worked with the R-Pi Foundation to get this feature into NOOBS going forward. If you select to install Raspbian PIXEL and OSMC and no other OSes, it should split the available HDD capacity evenly between the two OSes. There is a menu option called “Data Partition” that can be installed and set up to be accessed by OSes in other partitions, but the default size is pretty small- it’s intended for use in recovery- saving setup files. If you’re adventurous, you can download and modify the OS definition file for the “Data Partition” and increase the size (e.g. I created a local apt-get repository accessible by multiple Raspbian installs and made the directory 60GB so it can hold all of the primary apt packages).

You can use Berryboot also, and it has the flexibility to enable adding or deleting an OS without affecting the other installed OSes. But to do this, the architecture requires converting OSes to be Berryboot-compatible (they use a common kernel and are compressed in SquashFS format). As such, the OSes are generally not updatable from within the OS. Periodically, at the discretion of the Berryboot author, new versions of the more popular OSes will be converted and uploaded to the Berryboot OS repository. Berryboot is very stable and offers a wide selection of OSes.

I hope this provides some useful info, and sorry for the delay. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks!

Thank you for your help!

Michael