Rant! The perpetual Scans forever and ever and ever - frustrated with road rage type anger

for the last week or so, I’ve been letting the device be itself without any service shutdowns and as long as I don’t copy files over to it the device sleeps soundly with only an occasional wake-up. So I guess you can say they have fixed the sleeping problem.

The only annoyance is that after copying 2GB of files to it there is a flurry of activity for a good solid 9 minutes after the copying has completed; I guess this is the price of leaving Cloud access on.

After the flurry of clicks it goes back to sleep when the default 10 minutes is up. There is no clicking because it is sleeping.

This is the reason that WD won’t be adding the scan switches as it seems that their job is done.

1. sleep - check
  2. scans priority low - steps aside during the first few days of scan activities. - check
  3. scans do complete including thumbnails of NEFs and very large panorama’s as well as resizing photos for quick downloads. - check
  4. discontinued - check
  5. all the firmware writers have quit or have moved onwards - check

Well, I can’t really say that I am that annoyed anymore since I got what I paid for; a low cost NAS/Cloud device that is one-fourth the price of a QNAP.

Yup I kept checking and re-checking a QNAP that was priced at $800 and almost clicked on the “Buy now” button and I know that I would probably fall in love with the QNAP because, for one thing, the QNAP won’t be reading my emails and looking at my photos at 2AM in the morning, but

after all the “My Cloud” testing, I have come to the two conclusion that
“for what it is worth”,
“It is what it is”
I will always be the owner of a cheap WD My Cloud.

It is almost like owning a raspberry Pi with two hard drives in a nice Book enclosure.

I’ve re-added the wish “Please add switch to turn off wdmcserver, wdphotodbmerger on My Cloud boot up” in “Cloud ideas”

and @Brandon.P has suggested that I should contact WD’s Technical Support for this and perhaps we all should contact tech support and see if they are still RMA’ing clicking clouds?

For the moment I have stopped ranting and raving because the clicking has stopped and my entitlement has dissipated. However for some reason, probably the price, I managed to acquire two more 8TB Blacks for use on a 2nd EX2 which might mean that I might be tempted to move/copy just the photos to it which may mean another week of clickity-clicks and turbo fans at which my rage will return but I think I just might have to move all of my cloud units into a closet and sound-proof it.