Random doesn't seem random any more

I too have been waiting for over a year for this fix. I’m still running 1.03.49_V. For me, the random playback of music is my primary use of the Live. Any idea when this fix is ging to be rolled out?

OK, in all this gigantic mess with 1.06.15, anyobody knows where we are on this OLD “ramdom is not random” bug ?

Tested and random still only plays a few artists when on random.  Not sure how this hasn’t been fixed yet.

Up!

Anyone got any news from WD on this one?

I agree - come on WD we’ve all been more than patient with this issue.

The continuing failure to correct this bug affects a considerable number of potential / future WD customers and no-one want to spend money with a company who doesn’t provide a high level of customer support post sale.

So lets set some acheivable goals: 

1.   Progress report here wwithin one wekk.

2a. A fix within one month.

or 

2b. A really good explanation of why you can’t provide a fix within one month.

Yours in desperation, frustration and hope,

Kevin

SplittingDistan wrote:

I agree - come on WD we’ve all been more than patient with this issue.

The continuing failure to correct this bug affects a considerable number of potential / future WD customers and no-one want to spend money with a company who doesn’t provide a high level of customer support post sale.

So lets set some acheivable goals: 

1.   Progress report here wwithin one wekk.

2a. A fix within one month.

or 

2b. A really good explanation of why you can’t provide a fix within one month.

Yours in desperation, frustration and hope,

Kevin

You should be watching this issue in the Issue Reporting System that was just launched yesterday.

TonyPh12345,

Thanks for the info - of course as it “was only lauched yesterday” I didn’t know anything about it. 

I’ve done a quich search and to be honest I still can’t find anything - but that might be down to me rather than WD.

Have you got a link for it?

Thanks,

Kevin.

As far as I can tell, the exchanges are only set up for the Hub and the Live Streaming, not the Live or Live Plus.

If you go to “News and Announcements”, you’ll see a post directing you to the two previously mentioned exchanges.

onewoodguy wrote:

As far as I can tell, the exchanges are only set up for the Hub and the Live Streaming, not the Live or Live Plus.

If you go to “News and Announcements”, you’ll see a post directing you to the two previously mentioned exchanges.

D’oh!  (Smacking forehead…)

That’s what I get for not paying attention to the forum header.

Sorry, folks…  My fault.

I can’t see any update from WD regarding this bug since 4th August - when it was “This fix made it into the Live Hub update but not the Live Plus update. It’s still being worked on for the Live and Live Plus.”

Well, over three months have now passed by and it seems pretty clear that not only have WD failed to fix this issue but they’ve also decided not to communicate with us about it either.

Personally, I’ve had enough and have purchased a Zotac zbox running Openelec to replace the WDTV.

This issue and it’s handling by WD has badly soured my views of WD and it’s very unlikely that they will be seeing any of my hard earned money in the future. 

I am wondering if this bug is not present in the new Live Streaming player.  Not that I want to spend $100 bucks on a brand new unit, but I have a feeling we should no longer hold out hope they will fix this on the older devices.

Will there be any update to WD TV Live?

I still want to upgrade my 1.3.49 version, but random play isn’t random in any version above.

(Tried 1.06.15_V also, but doesn’t play random. With 35.000 tracks, it keeps choosing tracks from about 10 albums.)

Pity that after a full year and a half such a simple issue has yet to be resolved. I’ve just rolled back to 1.3.49_V and I’m happy to have my random play restored on my WD TV Live (WDBAAx0000NBK), albeit at the price of being able to play DVD files. WD shouldn’t force us to face such a choice.

There now must be considerable doubt as to whether or not WD ever intend to deal with this issue.

I’ve already consigned my WDTV to eBay and it’s replacement, a Zotac Zbox AD10 duel booting Openelec and Linux Mint has exceeded my expectations and is obviously a far more flexible tool than the WDTV. 

Oh, and of course the chances of me ever buying a WD product again are… considerably less than zero.

I won’t waste my hard earned money on companies who treat their customers this way. 

I was as surprised as anyone to see 1.06.41 beta listing this as being fixed.  Amazing.  Of course, I have already moved on to the SMP, but I still have the Plus so maybe I’ll install this update and see how it looks.  Thanks WD for finally getting around to this.  Better late then never, I guess.

Unfortunately, it’s not fixed. See this page Beta testing

Installed 1.06.43V.  Random audio playback still isn’t fixed.  Of all the issues to fix, this must been the simpliest by far and yet it seems they are unaable to do so, despite my many posts informing them that their fixes didn’t work.  Very disappointing. 

I don’t know what the next step is.  I doubt whether WD will provde another fix for this box and I’m not sure I want to buy another WD Product…particulalrly after the lengths I’ve gone to to try and get this simple issue resolved.

This is so sad. I got quite excited when I read that this bug was going to get fixed after 2 years!

I love my WD TV Live, but random play is quite essential - and they had it right in the first place! Why is it so difficult to undo whatever change they made with that bloody updaye?

That is sad.  I am glad I moved on and got the SMP, although I do feel like I am rewarding WD for bad behavior by buying more products from them.  That said, the SMP’s navigation is so much better and everything pretty much works the way it used to on the Plus.  Still have to reboot every few days to keep things fresh, but at least random music play works right. 

For my old Plus, I guess I will stick with my WDLXTV firmware.

What is the SMP? I only see WD TV Live and WD TV Hub? It is totally confusing to me that all the different generations have the same name and no version number attached. What a marketing mess.