Random doesn't seem random any more

horizons1

I’ve also been cursed with this annoying bug - and at first I thought it might be a TVersity issue too. But I can confirm that it most definately isn’t an issue with TVersity.

It also happens on Twonky media server as well. In fact Twonky served up a ramdom selection based on exaclty the same small subset of my files that TVersity did.

So it seems to be a WDTV Live issue - NOT an issue with the media server software.

Has anyone got any idea where else I need to send this info to best motivate WD to start worrking towards a fix?

Regards,

SplittingDistant

How can the WD firmware have any bearing on what Twonky decides to serve and not serve?

RoofingGuy,

I might have confused the issue by saying the Twonky Media Server “Served up” the files - as that suggests (I think!) that Twonky “pushed” the files when in fact the WDTV Live “pulled” them.

The WDTV Live uses the “All Tracks” or “All Music”  folders of whatever media server it connects to and should read in the file list and randomise it before playing back tracks.

If you read the full thread there are probably clearer explanations available than mine :wink:

My bad… sorry.

There’s enough other complaints about things that have nothing to do with WD (along with the valid ones that WD needs to address), that it just seemed to these sleep-deprived eyes as if you were complaining that Twonky was misbehaving.  I thought you were using it much like the “Play To” in WMP, and it wasn’t sending what you wanted.  :smileyvery-happy:

No problem!

Now off to bed with you - a roof is not a good place to be without enough sleep!

Regards,

Kevin.

For what it’s worth, I just reported my similar lack of randomization experience to WD tech phone support.  I’m running 1.04.22 on a WDTV Live with music being hosted by WMP v11.  Maybe if they get enough reports, they’ll consider it an issue.

And same for me reported back to WD as well 2 days ago

For the record I have the issue using “All Music” feature connected to “Wild Media Server”, so I guess a 4th media server listed here with the exact same issue.

And of course I had NEVER seen the issue with any of the preceeding firmware I used (up to 1.02.21 though…)

3rd email today from WD : they’ll come back to me to confirm if they consider a fix (or not …) and when … SO we need a bit ore patience maybe

(Note : their first answer told me to rollback to 1.02.21, but I declined because I am still interested in some new features of the more recent ones…)

I have seen the same problem since 1.04.X.  The last stable release where this problem does not manifest itself (for me at least, using Tversity) is 1.03.49.

Anyone know if there has been any response from WD about this issue? Thanks, Kevin.

I’m thinking of tring with the my media beta feature in PlayOn and seeing if that works, only it will most likely just be the 5th media server with this issue.

We’re working on this.

1 Like

Excellent news!

Thanls for taking the time to reply Guy - it’s much apriciated.

Kevin.

Good news indeed! :smiley:

I was just about to file a bug report myself - after all, if we’re specifically asked to each file our own bug report of the same thing instead of writing “me too” in this forum, this is what we should do, right?

Guy_K

"

Re: Random doesn’t seem random any more[ New ]

Options

yesterday PM

We’re working on this.

WDTV Test Engineer"

Are you also working on the 96khz to 48khz problem.

Wouldn’t it be useful if WD were to acknowledge that some of the bugs were being “worked on”.

I realise that WD would not be able to give an implementation date, but it would stop people repeatedly commenting on this form over and over again that they have a particular bug issue.

rostron wrote: Wouldn’t it be useful if WD were to acknowledge that some of the bugs were being “worked on”.

I think that’s kinda why WD keeps asking people to report firmware issues in the specific firmware threads (as they’ve done in this thread, as well).

The firmware threads are generally filled with “working on it…” responses from WD.  The other threads that people start are less likely to bring a direct response from WD.  That doesn’t mean that none of the other threads get read by WD, per se, but when there starts to be 20 different threads reporting the same issue, it does kind of make sense for WD to actually work on the problems, instead of sitting down and typing up the same response 20 times.

Even if there isn’t a “we’re working on it” response in a particular Firmware revision thread, they are checked very frequently… posting there, you’re assured that WD sees it and knows of it, even if they don’t reply to every post made.  Posting elsewhere, it may take much longer for something to get to WD’s attention.

We’re working on a more efficient/organized way to get bug reports from users and provide status updates on these bugs. Until that happens, I’ll just post updates when I can. I think it’s fine to have a thread/topic dedicated to a specific bug like this one. It helps keep all the relevant information in one place.

So should or shouldn’t we file bug reports in addition to forum threads? I am confused by the post from the WD Community manager, that tech staff does not read the forum (which is obviously not entirely correct).

I don’t want to cause overload, but I also understand that Tech support might be interested in the number of people concerned with an specific issue, which you don’t get from people just reading that someone else already report their problem in a forum.

OK Guy, you scare me and I am cautiously optimistic.  You say you are working on this (presumably the bug we are discussing) but then later on you said you are working on an “efficient/organized way to get bug reports from users”.  I hope the answer is you are working on both!  :slight_smile:

By the way, I for one would be really interested in knowing what caused this bug.  I am not sure what WD’s policy is on sharing that level of info, but on some other product forums the engineers do share and us technically-inclined get a better understanding of how everything works and, in turn, provide better feedback in subsequent trouble tickets.

I suspect 1.05 does not fix this since it is not mentioned in the release notes.  Will wait for the PLUS version or for someone to confirm whether or not fixed with the non-plus version.

It’s not fixed yet.