RAID Status: ! No Configured Volumes

Hi everyone–

PR4100 with latest firmware comprising two each 4TB WD Red and two each 6TB WD Red in a RAID5. On Saturday 25 March, high winds knocked out power to my house twice about 30 minutes apart - 1-2 seconds each power outage. I didn’t see the drive after the first outage, but I noticed it after the second one with all four drive lights solid red.

The attached photos show what is in the dashboard. Prior to noticing this, I had approximately 3.75TB free space. Now I have 0 KB. All drives show healthy.

I have opened a case–thus far have tried recommendation of “My Cloud OS5: Volume Failure, No Access to Shares, No Volume Cread, 0 KB Free after Update to OS 5” ( https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/30020) to no avail. I transferred the file to the PR4100 using SSH and executed the steps but I can’t tell what effect it had as there’s no change to the status.

I ran some other commands that I found in another WD Community post and I see that my superblock is not corrupted. I don’t know exactly what that means but I am cheered by the idea that there’s no corruption.

I’m contemplating running a scan disk. The feature is greyed out for me but I have the instructions how to run it through command line access in SSH.

Thanks in advance for your excellent suggestions.

Hi @three-m,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Yes, I opened a case before I wrote this. The technician suggested putting this topic into the WD Community.

I received a reply from WD Support that my log files indicate a file system corruption because of the power outages. The instructions from WD Support are to run scan disk. Scan disk is greyed out in the MyCloud dashboard. I can’t execute the instructions for a manual scan because in trying to get mount points (df -h command) there’s no evidence of a RAID volume and so I have no success with any of the other steps.

I have tried EaseUS NAS recovery with no joy. SSH is enabled per the instructions and all login credentials are correct but the software won’t connect to the NAS. I get “Connection failed, please check your network and retry.” This doesn’t match to any of the troubleshooting errors provided by EaseUS, so I’m at a dead-end with this presently.

Has anyone had success with EaseUS for NAS recovery? Or with other RAID recovery software?

Hi three-m,
the same error on WD MyCloudEX2 Ultra, have you finally solved in some way ?
I’ve also opened a request on WD support, but for now they are investigating, but really I’ve no feedback… :worried:

None of what I was getting from WD Support was making a difference. I went for support from DiskInternal (self-service data recovery) to rebuild the volume. The initial process completed quickly and I can see all my shares, files, and folders. The actual recovery is on day number four presently. It’s going to take several more days to complete the scan of 10TB storage of RAID-5.

I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties recovering your RAID volume. It sounds like you have already tried some troubleshooting steps, but there are a few more things you can try:

1. Check if the RAID volume is detected by the system: You can use the fdisk -l command to check if the system detects the RAID volume. If it does, you can use the mount command to mount the volume manually.
  2. Check if the RAID volume is degraded: If one of the drives in the RAID volume has failed, the volume will be degraded. You can use the mdadm --detail /dev/mdX command (replace X with the RAID volume number) to check the status of the RAID volume.
  3. Check the health of the hard drives: If one or more of the hard drives are failing, this could be causing the issue. You can use the smartctl command to check the SMART status of the hard drives. If the SMART status indicates that a drive is failing, you should replace it immediately.
  4. Try a different data recovery software: If you have not had success with EaseUS, you can try other data recovery software such as Stellar Data Recovery Technician Disk Drill, TestDisk, or R-Studio. Make sure to choose a software that is designed specifically for RAID recovery.
  5. Seek professional data recovery services: If all else fails, you may need to seek the help of a professional data recovery service. They have specialized equipment and expertise to recover data from failed RAID volumes.

I hope these suggestions help you in your efforts to recover your RAID volume.

Thank you. The RAID volume is neither detected nor degraded. It is missing. The hard drives are in a health status. EaseUS won’t connect to the NAS but DiskInternals does. I just can’t figure out how to use DiskInternals as it is quite difficult for me to navigate.

Does anyone have experience using DiskInternals software to restore RAID? I am struggling–for weeks–with the interface and what the software does. I have performed various tasks (Raid Recovery, Recover, Wizard) using the interface, but I’m unsure what I’m doing. The scans have taken anywhere from 30-80 hours per disk, I don’t see any recovered files. Just things like

001 volume - (Start at 5 242 880 bytes, 550. 00 Mb)
002 /mnt/HD_d4 - (Start at 2 148 533 224 bytes, 1.00 Gb)
003 /mnt/HD/HD_a2 - (Start at 668 271 304 704 bytes, 10.89 Tb)

Inside these “folders” are files with names like Inode_000000002 and Inode_000000008. I have no idea what these files are and what restoring them will do. I don’t see anything that looks like music, movie, or picture files that I have on my NAS with damaged RAID volume.

When I attempt to recover the files, I’m presented with the option of mounting to a drive, saving, or uploading to FTP. I understand what each of these is, but the next steps after choosing one aren’t clear.

I don’t want to spend $499 with this company to find out that I’ve not done it right or that my files can’t be restored.

Hi. I finally resolved my issue.

I wasn’t having success with DiskInternals at first–the instructions for use are poor and difficult to follow. I scanned each individual drive, which took 2-3 days each, and that didn’t provide the proper result. Where I had success was scanning the single volume that my RAID 5 created. The scan took about six days to cover 10TB.

That proved to be the difference maker as when I scanned that volume, I got results with all of my movies, music, photos, and documents. I then paid $499 to DiskInternals for the license and began to extract all the files in the volume to an external hard drive. The extraction took about three days to complete. I have all my files on the external hard drive and now I’ve just created a new RAID 5 configuration on the NAS. The RAID parity is 2% verified at this point so I will let it run overnight.

This is VERY important–you can’t close the DiskInternals program either during scanning or extraction or the scan results are lost and you have to begin over again. I turned off Windows Update after learning this the hard way. Windows Update reset the computer after installing an update and that forced me to start over again.

For the record, I’m neither buying nor selling on DiskInternals. It was difficult for me to use but I did get it to work. I also tried EaseUS and could not connect to my NAS through SSHD successfully. I need to get a refund from them as the software never worked for me. I tried the evaluation version of Stellar but the interface was difficult for me to use and I didn’t get very far with it.

I’m sorry to hear about the difficulties you’re facing with your WD MyCloud NAS and the file system corruption. It can be frustrating when certain options are not available or when recovery software doesn’t work as expected.

While I don’t have specific information on success rates with EaseUS for NAS recovery, there are other RAID recovery software options that you can explore:

1. STELLAR TOOLKIT FOR DATA RECOVERY: An advanced data recovery software to recover data from Mac, Windows, Linux and Synology drives.
  2. R-Studio: R-Studio is a comprehensive data recovery tool that supports various RAID configurations, including those used by WD MyCloud NAS devices.
  3. UFS Explorer: UFS Explorer is another powerful tool known for its ability to recover data from complex storage systems, including different types of RAIDs.
  4. DMDE: DMDE (DM Disk Editor) specializes in partition management and data recovery from damaged or failed RAIDs, offering advanced features for RAID reconstruction.

Before attempting any further steps or trying different software tools, it’s always recommended to create clones or images of your original drives to avoid any potential data loss during the recovery process.

Regarding the greyed-out Scan Disk option in the MyCloud dashboard and missing evidence of a RAID volume, it might be worth reaching out to WD Support again and providing them with this additional information. They may have more specific troubleshooting steps tailored to your particular situation.

Additionally, consider seeking assistance from dedicated forums or communities where users who have encountered similar issues may be able to provide insights based on their experiences with WD MyCloud NAS devices specifically.

Remember that professional data recovery services could also be an option if you’re unable to retrieve important files using these software solutions.

I hope you find a solution soon!

I’m sorry to hear about the issue you’re facing with your WD PR4100 NAS. It sounds like a power outage may have caused some disruption to the RAID array. Since you’ve already opened a case and tried some troubleshooting steps, here are a few additional suggestions:

1. Check RAID Status: Make sure the RAID status is recognized correctly in the NAS dashboard. If it’s not, you may need to try rebuilding the RAID array. This process may vary depending on the NAS model and firmware version.
  2. RAID Rebuild: If the RAID array is not recognized or is in a degraded state, you may need to perform a RAID rebuild. This process will depend on the specific NAS model and firmware. Refer to the WD PR4100 user manual or contact WD support for guidance on rebuilding the RAID.
  3. Check Disk Health: Even though the dashboard shows the drives as healthy, it’s a good idea to check each drive’s health individually. You can use tools like smartctl via SSH to get detailed information about each drive’s status.
  4. File System Check: Since you mentioned considering running a scan disk, you can try checking and repairing the file system using the appropriate commands. For example, for an ext4 file system, you might use e2fsck. Make sure to refer to the file system documentation and backup critical data before attempting any repairs.
  5. WD Support: If the issue persists, reach out to WD support for further assistance. They may have specific tools or steps to diagnose and resolve the problem.
  6. Backup Data: Before attempting any major changes or repairs, ensure that you have a backup of your important data. This is crucial to prevent data loss in case something goes wrong during the troubleshooting process.

Remember that performing any actions on your NAS, especially through command line access, carries some risks. If you are unsure about any step, it’s always best to consult with WD support or seek help from experienced professionals to avoid potential data loss.

Additionally, keep an eye on the support community forums for your specific NAS model, as there might be users who have faced similar issues and shared their solutions.

I have been experiencing the very same problem.
I have lost the raid setting for the 2nd time. Last year around the same time it occured the first time.
Now I need to rebuild the NAS from scratch. I cannot tell if we have had power outage but it should not damage any RAID settings.
I was lucky that I have back which is 3 weeks old. I am not lossing all data but a lot.

My NAS is from 2015 and I have bad luck I went through 7 HDDs. The last one I replaced in October 23 because it failed. Anyway, I need to make a decision what to do with the NAS since this is not reliable any more.

Don’t use SMR drives in a NAS. (Or anywhere, to be honest)

Yes, I have used SMR drives since they were labelled for NAS usage.
Anyway in October one of the NAS drived failed and I bought CMR drives. I have some spare.
I will exchange the existing SMR drives with CMR ones after the NAS has been restored. I am still in the rebuilding process which will last another two or days or so.

Since my NAS is from 2015 I am doing a bit of research what new NAS to get. I won’t be getting another WD NAS simply because they have not introduced new machines for a number of years. My next HDD won’t be from WD either.

WD was one of the manufactures that secretly labelled SMR drives for NAS Usage. As having said, I am through 7 HHD since 2015. I am not sure of this is a lot? It is about replacing the drives every 2 to 3 years and I am not doing a lot with the NAS. Once I had to upgrade from 4TB to 12TB because I needed more capacity and the rest has something to with drive failures. Or the issure with losing the raid setting. I did not have any power loss… never… not this time and also not last time…

I came across the difference between SMR and CMR when reseaching for the NAS.