Raid Management for My Book Duo

Hello, I just purchased a PR4100 and realised I can’t use it to stream my iTunes music… great ! and of course instead of doing a firmware upgrade, WD tells me it’s Apple’s problem…
anyhow… I am planning to do it like in the old days and buy an external hard drive attached to my computer with a cable (yes, seriously) knowing that most of the mac app listed in the WD do not work for the latest OS, ( I tried the WD Drive Utility but it does not work with my old My Book Studio 2 and tried the WD raid management but it does not show up in my top menu) I wanted to be sure that the WD drive utility would work on an iMac running on OS High Sierra before I would buy any more WD products… I need to be able to manage RAID and repair and other stuff. Thank you in advance for any useful answers.

so no one is able to tell me weather WD Drive utility is working with OS High Sierra and my Book Duo ? Maybe I should contact WD directly…

Hi Petri - I have both the Studio II and the Duo too. Both are RAID 1. My MacOS is currently 10.15.3 (Catalina).

My advice is don’t bother with the WD software. Simply use Disk Utlility if required.

WD tell me that the Studio II is no longer supported so you need to use DU anyway.

As far as the Duo is concerned I have had several problems with it having multiple desktop images (up to three for each volume) none of which would eject forcing me to force quit my Mac using the button atthe back of the computer. This would happen every time I manually put the Mac to sleep then later reawakening it. Okay if the Mac put itself to sleep oddly enough.

I also got spurious RAID Error warnings for the Duo. Tried all the WD Discovery updated, but in the end had to thoroughly remove all my WD software. All probems gone now.

I discovered that the proprietary uninstaller misses items by the way. Check both the ROOT and USER Libraries for leftover WD files if you decide to remove it.

I have a theory that the root cause of my problem might have been that I formatted the drive (to RAID 1 at least) using Disk Utlility rather than the WD software that came with the Duo. It might explain the spurious RAID alarms I experienced, but maybe not the multiple drive images.

In any case I have found that removing all the WD software (Drive Utility - the lot) on my Mac, both now appear to love each other.

1 Like