RAID 5 Recovery process for WD ShareSpace Device

Hi, I am using WD ShareSpace (Part # WD40000A4NC-00. I created RAID level 5 volume and users are using it since years. Last week it power adapter gone faulty and I have to replace it. Since I have replaced the adapter, the drive is power on, giving me access but RAID status is “Failed to Mount this Volume”. The status/health of physical drives are in “Good” status. I have user data on this volume and cannot rebuild it.

So if anyone can help me to restore my RAID without loosing any data?

Hi emesis,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

I’m sorry to hear about the issue you’re experiencing with your WD ShareSpace. It seems that after replacing the power adapter, you are unable to mount the RAID volume and access your data. Recovering a failed RAID without losing any data can be a complex process, but here are some steps you can try:

1. Check connections: Ensure that all cables and connections between the drives and the NAS device are secure.

2. Power cycle: Try powering off the device completely, disconnecting it from power for a few minutes, then reconnecting it and powering it back on.

3. Resetting NAS: If power cycling doesn’t resolve the issue, consider performing a reset of your WD ShareSpace according to its documentation or contacting Western Digital support for guidance specific to your model.

4. RAID recovery software/tools: If resetting does not work or causes further issues, you might need specialized RAID recovery software or professional assistance from data recovery experts who specialize in RAID systems. They have advanced tools and techniques to potentially recover data from failed RAID volumes.

It’s important to note that attempting any DIY solutions may carry risks of potential data loss if not done correctly. Therefore, if your data is critical and irreplaceable, reaching out to professional data recovery services is often advisable as they have experience in handling such situations.

Remember: Before trying any solutions yourself or seeking professional help, ensure that you have backups of important files whenever possible in case unforeseen complications arise during the recovery process.

I found a pricey but very reliable and easy way to recover from a WD Sharespace RAID 5 failure.
RAID 0, 5, 6 Data Recovery Software For Corrupted Arrays (2024)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78PH02bznEU

Buy the Hetman RAID RECOVERY. unfortunately you need to buy the OFFICE version $500 to repair a 4 disk array. like the Sharespace.
I also posted a link to thier how to video.

I also purchased the Sata to USB dock for $60. MAIWO 4 Bay Hard Drive Enclosure Sata to USB 3.0 External Multi-Bay 2.5& 3.5 Inch HDD SDD Docking Station Hard Disk Box For Pc

Setup was easy on windows 11 and the software had my drives scanned and ready for recovery in about 2 hours. actual recovery and copy to a backup drive took about 17 hours for 5TB.

The folks above did a great job creating a low cost DIY solution on Linux.

If you are looking for less complexity with some customer support. this solution worked.