Question on Port forwarding for Mac Timecapsule

Since the time capsule router portion does not support UPNP, from what I have read you must manually forward the ports for the My Cloud drive. I gave the My Cloud a static IP address and then forwarded external ports 8080, 8443 and internal ports  80 and 443. I appear to be connected and am accessing my cloud remotely from outside the network. Under connection status it still is saying “relay mode” should it say something different with static config and port forwarding? Wondering if I set this up right or not. The knowledge base article only covered 2 routers of course neither was a Mac router so I had to decipher it and apply it from what I read… Has anyone configured a time capsule or airport extreme this way? Looking for some feedback…

Thanks

I would assume they’d be configured similarly…

UPDATE:

I noticed that I did not switch the remote access option to manual to enable the ports in the my cloud when I did it promptly broke and said it failed to connect to port 80 and 443 :frowning: It’s discouraging to see the ads for this device touting support for Apple products but no one at WD could take a few minutes to add time capsule and airport extreme port forwarding tutorials to the knowledge base.

UPDATE 2:

After going back into the airport utility and checking my settings I was finally able to get the “port forwarding connection established” message in the My Cloud Dash board. I created separate port forwards for  80  and 443 and it worked 8080 and 8443 were not necessary apparently. I had an error in the entry location that most likely was the culprit.

Hi there,

I have the exact problem and am quite frustrated that for such a common setup (airport extreme with the latest airport utility in my case) there is no guide for how to set this up. My Cloud works fine in the network but remote access is so slow that is is unusable as a Cloud, the very idea of the thing? I am connected via “relay connection” and hope to speed this up by setting up port forawrding. I ahve fibreoptic bradband so it should be quick! 

Could you maybe post the steps you took to configure this in the MyCloud UI and in Airport utility? This would be much appreciated!