Question on G-RAID Thunderbolt disconnecting all the time

I have an iMac 27" 5K (Late 2014) running High Sierra10.13.2, and G-RAID With Thunderbolt 4 TB 0G02289 GRATHNB40002BAB that seems to disconnect itself almost daily, then reconnect (no data loss…yet (I use it as an external, additional drive, not Time Machine or backup)). I’m not sure if there is an issue with iMac, G-RAID, cable, or what.

I’ve run First Aid on the array and individual drives, and not getting any reported errors.

One thing I noticed seemed odd, is the firmware versions being reported by the iMac, below…do I need to get a newer cable (I’m using the one that came with it), or upgrade the cable, G-RAID or iMac firmware or code? And if so, how?

Thanks!
Thunderbolt Bus:

Vendor Name: Apple Inc.
Device Name: iMac
UID: 0x0001001100268CE0
Route String: 0
Firmware Version: 26.1
Domain UUID: E0253E2D-526A-6B55-B97A-18E81ACD5D93
Port:
Link Status: 0x2
Speed: Up to 10 Gb/s x2
Current Link Width: 0x1
Receptacle: 1
Cable Firmware Version: 1.1.0
Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.14.0
Port:
Link Status: 0x7
Speed: Up to 20 Gb/s x1
Current Link Width: 0x1
Receptacle: 2
Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.14.0

G-RAID with Thunderbolt:

Vendor Name: G-Technology
Device Name: G-RAID with Thunderbolt
Vendor ID: 0xC
Device ID: 0x1
Device Revision: 0x2
UID: 0x000C126030001B80
Route String: 1
Firmware Version: 26.3
Port (Upstream):
Link Status: 0x2
Port Micro Firmware Version: 2.0.7
Cable Firmware Version: 1.1.0
Port:
Link Status: 0x7
Port Micro Firmware Version: 2.0.7

I have the same computer and same problem, but with a different drive. After 3 years of phone calls to tech support, I finally deduced that I had a bad Thunderbolt cable. Replaced, and problem solved.

I seem to have the same problem, I am using the factory cables and any slight movement of my computer seems to disconnect the drive?

I gave up on the cables that came with it…not sure if they are poorly-made or bad or loose, but, I went and got new cables from Apple and all problems vanished. Can wiggle things and no problems…

1 Like

Thank you Oscar1, I will try some new cables.

Oscar1 I also went and purchased new Apple Cables and the drives do not disconnect anymore. I purchased a new Apple Thunderbolt 3 cable to connect my new iMac to my G-Raid Thunderbolt 3. It mounted right away with no problem
Interestingly though I also purchased an Apple USB C to USB C Cable so I can also connect my G-Drive USB C to the G-Raid which also has a USB C 3.1 Gen 2 port. I installed it by inserting it into the USB C Port on the G-Raid and then to my G-Drive USB C and the G-Drive USB C DID NOT Mount. Upon further investigation of the Tech Specs I found out the G-Drive USB C has a USB C 3.1 Gen 1 port and the G-Raid Thunderbolt 3 has a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port and they would not communicate.
I solved the problem by moving the USB C Cable from the USB C 3.1 Gen 2 port to the other Thunderbolt 3 port on the G-Raid and the G-Drive mounted immediately.
My conclusion is that the USB 3.1 Gen 2 port is not compatible with the USB 3.1 Gen 1 port.

It is just my curiosity why the Gen 1 and Gen 2 do not communicate?

Update, I have corresponded with the G-Tech Support Team and the answer to my query re Gen 1 and Gen 2 and it is fairly simple and makes total sense. So I do not mess it up I will quote the reply that I received.

"USB does not support daisy-chaining, you can only daisy-chain with thunderbolt technology, this means both storage device need to be equipped with thunderbolt ports.

USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 both use the same interface but are two different technologies."

So now I understand the reason for the behaviour of my drives.

Hope this helps someone else.

DavidHH