Question about GoodSync support

Hi! Has anyone here contacted GoodSync support to get assistance? I have a support ticket open with them that has been open since January 2022 and at this point, their support team has stopped updating the ticket. In fact, the last two updates to the ticket were posted by me, asking for updates. lol I posted an update today (10/12/2022) and the previous one on 9/10/2022. So, if GoodSync support isn’t going to support the software that Western Digital “provides” for us to use, I’m not sure what my options are other than to replace the Western Digital My Cloud NAS with a NAS with software that’s actually supported.

Thanks!

Peace…

I’ve always had pretty much only very good experiences with GoodSync support, with quick fixes.

What’s happening on your side?

Thanks for the reply. Literally NOTHING is happening. My support ticket hasn’t had a response from a GoodSync support rep since 2022/04/22. They ask me to supply data, I supply the data and then nothing for long periods of time. After supplying the last set of data they requested, I haven’t heard back at all.

I reported an issue with their GoodSync server that runs on the My Cloud NAS and I provided the logs and other info they needed for diagnostic purposes. If they don’t intend to do anything, they should update the ticket and close it but to NOT take ANY action at all is truly disturbing. As a result of this issue, I can’t use GoodSync to synchronize data with the My Cloud NAS without causing access problems. sigh

Weird.
What’s the issue you are having?
What versions are you running?

I’m running version 11.11.1 (I think) of GoodSyc server on my My Cloud NAS. The issue is this:

When I create a file or folder on Windows using the SMB Windows share (i.e. I map a SMB share on the NAS to a drive on the local Windows system), the file is created with file permissions 777 (rwxrwxrwx) on the NAS, itself. This means whoever has access to the share has access to the file or folder to update, delete, etc. That works fine.

When a file or folder is created via GoodSync remote, the Windows client sends the file/folder to the GoodSync server, running on the NAS, and the GoodSync server creates the file or folder. In this case, the wrong file permissions are used (700, I think, or maybe 744, i.e. rwx------ or rwxr–r–). As a result, the file or folder appears readonly to the local Windows users who access the same shared folder.

I’ve sent Samba configuration info to support and we’ve confirmed the GoodSync server isn’t picking up the correct Samba settings for creating files/folders and that’s where things end.

So, here is the overall use case:

A local Windows user (local = on the same LAN as the NAS) accesses a shared folder and creates a file. Another local Windows user can open that file in the same shared folder, make changes, and save those changes, overwriting the original file. Cool.

Now if a remote user, who has access to that same shared folder via GoodSync remote, creates a new file and saves it in the shared folder, that new file has the wrong permissions such that the local Windows users can’t edit the file because it’s read-only to them. I think that also happens if the remote user edits the file I described above but I forget.

To deal with this, I would login to the NAS via SSH daily and run a command to update all of the file permissions for ALL of the shared folders to make sure everything was fully accessible by all authorized users. I tried creating a script that would run via cron schedule but the schedule would be wiped out, periodically. I think the script, itself, even got deleted as part of some “housekeeping” the NAS does.

So, until the GoodSync server is updated to process the Samba settings or is otherwise changed to properly create files/folders with the correct permissions, I’m totally stuck. This is functionality that worked fine with the old Western Digital sync software but after the change to GoodSync, this doesn’t work as we need it to.

Oh, sounds very disappointing.

I don’t use GoodSync remote myself.

However, I have had a somewhat similar an issue with GoodSync.

I had to clean install my MacBook and so did I with GoodSync. I use GSTP syncs.

For some reasons, files synced with GoodSync where not accessible. They were appearing in Finder but not readable. The folders’ icons had a red sign on them. Files were readable and accessible on My Cloud website though… Permissions were shown as being OK on Finder.

The solution was to disable the copy of permissions on the Mac side.

Is there such an option in Remote?

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the reply. :slight_smile: Yes, there’s an option to not copy permissions and I’ve tried that with no luck. :frowning: Windows permissions are different than *nix and given how Samba is setup, on the My Cloud, the file permissions should be set to make any file or folder uploaded readable and writable by authorized users. I noticed new files created by GoodSync server had ‘root’ set as the owner! So, I found a setting to control that but the group wasn’t being set properly and I had the same issue. If I could at least get the group permission set properly (i.e. rwx), all would be well but all files and folders are created with “744” (rwxr–r–) permissions when created by GoodSync server.

So, I’m stuck. The worst part is, GoodSync support has simply STOPPED responding to my messages in the support ticket I created. In fact, I even opened NEW tickets for different reasons to see if they would respond and they responded almost immediately to those tickets. Needless to say, I’m NOT a happy customer AT ALL.

Thanks for trying to help! :slight_smile:

They’re are often super quick and helpful. But the truth is I once have had an argument with a very unpolite person