Question about Data Lifeguard

Recently I have been getting system shutdowns with the blue screen of death and a scsiport error. I downloaded Data Lifeguard, and it reported bad sectors, and suggested I repair. Instead, I ran Windows XP’s chkdsk with options to correct errors. It took about 4.5 hours on a 500GB drive, and I haven’t had a shutdown in about 16 hours, which is nice. But, Data Lifeguard is still reporting bad sectors. If I run the repair, I know I’ll lose the data in those sectors, but what I need to know is if  this is going to do something like format the drive, or actually repair the sectors. The system is booting and everything seems to work. But these random shutdowns have been a nuisance. I’m backing up my data just in case, and if I have to format I will.

Thanks

Reformatting will not repair the bad sectors. You can use and utility like  TestDisk

The Data Lifeguard tool will not remove data. It has the ability to automatically re map up to 100 bad sectors. Engineers have felt that more than 100 bad sectors would make the drive too unstable for use and recommend replacing the drive. re mapping the bad sectors tell Windows to ignore these sectors during the read/write functions to the drive. Data Lifeguard will only format the drive if you choose to write zeroes to the drive from that specific menu.