QA on SH Scripts... ScheDDler? What is this? You mean Scheduler?

I’ve had the EX4 for a few years now. I replaced a ReadyNAS NV+ with this because the ReadyNAS performance wasn’t great. It was reliable but older technology and was hoping for better performance and features so I purchased the EX4. I’ve been in technology for OVER 30 years and doing enterprise work exclusively for almost 25.

Fast forward. I have torched more hard drives in the EX4 in the last 3 years than I have in all of my prior 25 years. When I look back at very, very large companies I have worked for, I have never, ever seen anything approaching the % of drive failures in the EX4. This is a clear indication of a problem with the processing the EX4. I’m running RAID10 and when 1 volume drive fails, for some reason the 2nd drive in that volume is not far behind. This has happened 3 times in the last 3 years with a pair of drives dying within a short period of time of each other. That is not a coincidence, and that is an astronomically high failure rate.

Then, I start doing some investigation. I have attached just ONE example here showing some triggered a “schedDler” job, RATHER than a “schedUler” job. Are you serious? Did anyone even test to see if scheduled jobs were running (see graphic below).

Although this EX4 is way out of warranty, there is no reason it should be eating drives. And the rebuild option is about the worst I have ever seen. I have to manually change performance options using SSH on the command line to get the job done in a day rather than the drive destroying 3-4 weeks. And the rebuild process seems to tear up the drives and cause more failures (if it ever completes).

Come on, where is the quality control?

Well, whether or not the spelling of “schedDler” is a typo, it’s irrelevant. It is a valid process:

./lib/libscheddl.so
./usr/sbin/scheddler
./usr/local/modules/usrlib/libscheddl.so
./usr/local/modules/usrsbin/scheddler

I’ve had my EX4 powered up since the day they first shipped, (according to SMART data, just over five years) and I’ve yet to lose a drive, so it’s been no less or more reliable than the six other four-bay NASes I have (four QNAPs and two more WD DL/EX series).

I know that doesn’t help your circumstances, just sayin’ that you might be a statistical outlier.