What I want to do:
I would like to purchase the smallest server in this line - the 4TB version with two internal drives and four slots - and add two of my own hard drives to the extra bays to increase the capacity.
I already have western digital 1 TB drives and 1.5 TB drives in the office - do not want to buy more drives - but they are not the “RE” version drives mentioned in the product specs. RE stands for RAID Edition.
I want to just add my ‘typical’ standard drives and take advantage of the RAID 5 functionality.
I would also like to ask for the following information:
- Is the capacity of the 4TB version expandable if I add my own hard drives (in addition to what they have in there already)
- Is there problems with adding standard drives instead of the RE drives?
- Is there problems with implementing the RAID 5?
- Is there problems with drives of different size (first two bays will be 2 TB and two I want to add will be 1.5TB - some servers will not be able to handle this)
- Is there problems with remote access - adding large amounts of data via remote user, apple users, other things? The remote access functions are key for us.
- Is there any router incompatibility issues?
- Is there any configuration issues with Comcast internet service?
- Is the operating system included on these units the best for my purposes? The file sharing here in the office (three or four computers) and remote access by 3 or 4 users.
Thank you in advance!
3 not with the proper WD Drive Kit Purchased from WD
6 as a rule no
7 see #6
8 probably not. If you want a NAS box, client Backup, and remote access to Supported Windows Desktops this would be a good choice