Public IP not resolving internal to LAN, for port forwarded service

I’m on the latest Ex2 Ultra firmware.

I have a service running on a particular port of my Ex2 Ultra, via SSL, and it’s being port forwarded by my router to the same port. I’ve got a domain name pointed to my public IP and I’ve generated the SSL certificate via the DNS challenge with acme.sh.

When I access my service at http://10.0.0.167:myPort on my local network, once I tell my browser to ignore CA certificate warnings, everything is fine.

When I access my service at https://mypublicdomain.com:myPort on an external network (e.g. my phone without wifi) it also works fine.

But if I try to access the same public address while connected to my wifi, the browser hangs loading forever and never resolves. I also substituted with my public IP address instead of the domain name, same issue.

I also am port forwarding to the SSL port for the ex2 ultra dashboard. When I access mypublicdomain.com:8543 over the local network, it resolves with no issue.

I have tried configuring port forwarding on and off for this specific port under the network settings in the Ex2 Ultra dashboard. Doesn’t change anything.

The thing that confuses me is that before I reconfigured my SSL certificate (it also hadn’t been working for months, which is why I reconfigured it), I had a working public domain accessible in and outside of my network. I wonder if a software component was upgraded in my NAS causing this issue.

Hmmm.

When you try internal address on your internal network. . . it works.
When you try external address on your external address. . . it works.

. . and to be clear. . . .your internal network “myport” is the same as your external port? (although it doesn’t have to be)

In OS/5 - - → I know there is a funky thing happening when accessing the dashboard via an outside connection (for the HTTPS certificate, I believe. I don’t think the name resolution is happening in your network). I am going to be a small sum that the issue isn’t with your NAS; but rather your router. I bet when you use the external address something doesn’t like the same traffic going up to your ISP, and being reflected straight back to the router.

For an example of router weirdness: I tried to block NAT translation from the WAN to my NAS at the router. I could do this readily - - → but everytime I tried, it ALSO blocked translation from different subnets within the network. Tried multiple ways. Ultimately, I chalked it up to funky router firmware - - → and stopped just shy of installing Merlin onto the ASUS router.

As a test. . .can you run something to a port on a different computer, to rule out something funky in the NAS software?

Just for giggles: I would try a different port number for the external traffic (i.e. if you are using 442 for the NAS internally ; try assigning 8442 for the external port)

Also; I would wipe out all the port forwarding settings in the NAS. I would put all your funky network settings into a single device that controls your entire network - - → the router. (I am a strong fan of fixed IP in the router, not at the NAS)

When you try internal address on your internal network. . . it works.
When you try external address on your external address. . . it works.
. . and to be clear. . . .your internal network “myport” is the same as your external port? (although it doesn’t have to be)

yes to all

As a test. . .can you run something to a port on a different computer, to rule out something funky in the NAS software?

Indeed I have a similar problem trying to access a service running on my laptop via my public address.

Just for giggles: I would try a different port number for the external traffic (i.e. if you are using 442 for the NAS internally ; try assigning 8442 for the external port)

Maddeningly, the web portal for configuring my ISP’s router does not appear to support port forwarding from an external port to a different internal port. I’d looked all over to no avail. So I would love to try that but I don’t see how I can.

As mentioned previously, the Ex2 Ultra Dashboard IS accessible on the same public address (with its own port), via the exact same configuration in my router, except for the different port number.

It appears the Ex2 Ultra Dashboard software is performing some kind of black magic to make its own port poke through the mess, I guess what I need to do is find out what that black magic is, and replicate it.

OK - - so you have the SAME issue with a laptop as with the NAS.

Smells like a router issue. The fact that it won’t allow port forwarding reassignment is. . . indicative of a feature poor router. What happens if you have two devices that want traffic directed to port 22? My thought is either to SERIOUSLY look into the router manual; or better yet: Can you change the ISP router to one you buy at a local box store for $50? I have done that at a few different places; and I am MUCH happier for it. I also provide my own cable modems.

Really would prefer not to change the router as it is normally pretty performant in terms of speed and I had to pay a bunch for it just to have this service. But yes it ■■■■■ for configuration.

I can’t get over the fact that the public IP resolves correctly from the internal network, for the port opened by the Ex2 Ultra Web Dashboard. It implies there is a way around this, I just can’t figure out what it is.

Ben